Electrical issue

My wiring is old and brittle. My truck battery shows 13 volts, but truck won't even try to turn over. Fuel pump comes on but that's all I get. Radio light goes out when I turn key to start position. The large red wire on this block goes to muy alternator and this green wire is broke. I'm assuming this ain't good. Any one able to tell me what this silver block the green wire and alternator wire are connected too does? Am guessing my issue could be here. Battery is only a month old. cf858f3bbb8b64e0eae37f2cc7c2bc22.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Hi everyone,

I'm going to take the minority view on this. I think it is possible that that fusible link just corroded and failed, it was not necessarily overloaded.

I can't get quite enough resolution on the picture to say this definitively. However, the same link on my 88 does have a nick in the insulation, and I can see some corrosion in the wires underneath. (It's on my one of these days list…)

Since the fusible link is undersize anyway, compared to the rest of the circuit, if the wire had some corrosion, I could see it failing with a normal load.

Of course, to be sure to replace it with another fusible link, and keep an eye on it to be sure the new one doesn't fail, is certainly necessary.

Gene

It's definitely going to ground at the component. I'm going over the schematic to figure out which component that is; however, I went out to the truck to look and now the hood release cable I have so lovingly cared for since 2006 has broken and I can't raise the hood... I swear this thing has fought me every step of the way since I decided to place it back in service... (It has set for the last 2 years waiting on me to convert the cooling system.)

To be clear-The fusible link is still disconnected. It has to be non-critical to starting or charging I reckon. If I touch the ends together though it sparks so I know something ain't right on the other end. Well, I'm off to figure out how to raise the hood.

It's definitely going to ground at the component. I'm going over the schematic to figure out which component that is; however, I went out to the truck to look and now the hood release cable I have so lovingly cared for since 2006 has broken and I can't raise the hood... I swear this thing has fought me every step of the way since I decided to place it back in service... (It has set for the last 2 years waiting on me to convert the cooling system.)

2 years for a cooling system swap? Been there before. I kept putting it off in my other MJ. Now I can swap the entire cooling system in probably 3 hours flat since I've done it multiple times :D I worry that my hood release cable is going to snap soon. It's iffy sometimes. If it does I plan to go to hood pins.

Hi mpd,

So when you get the hood open, check this

http://www.bteventures.com//mj1988electricalmanual.pdf

Page 8 per manual numbering, page 9 per PDF.

If your wiring is the same as 88, there are 4 green fusible links, each connected to a red wire.

So the broken link could be

ignition switch

fog lights

headlights  or

air conditioner clutch.

Interestingly, the wiring diagram shows an 18 ga fusible link protecting 12 ga wire for several of these. This is a really small link, normally the link is 4 numbers smaller ( 12 ga wire would be protected by 16 ga link) So I would think this would make "accidental" burnout (vs true overload) more likely.

But BE SURE to replace the burned section with fusible link wire.

Good luck getting the hood open!

Gene

Hi mpd,

So when you get the hood open, check this

http://www.bteventures.com//mj1988electricalmanual.pdf

Page 8 per manual numbering, page 9 per PDF.

If your wiring is the same as 88, there are 4 green fusible links, each connected to a red wire.

So the broken link could be

ignition switch

fog lights

headlights or

air conditioner clutch.

Interestingly, the wiring diagram shows an 18 ga fusible link protecting 12 ga wire for several of these. This is a really small link, normally the link is 4 numbers smaller ( 12 ga wire would be protected by 16 ga link) So I would think this would make "accidental" burnout (vs true overload) more likely.

But BE SURE to replace the burned section with fusible link wire.

Good luck getting the hood open!

Gene

Got the hood up. It was a combination of reaching up between belt driven and auxiliary fans to pull down on release rod. That took care of passenger side. Had to remove headlight and bucket to release the driver side...

We got slammed by high winds, flash flooding and a tornado here in Arkansas yesterday so no time to diagnose truck wiring. We have been helping friends secure homes and clean up. I'll update later, it's back to work in the a.m. A sincere thank you to everyone who offered advice to help resolve the issue. af8f24da68cb15d8ce160d77b0adcb02.jpg83237c3e046df71a2dc875944f2f20ba.jpg4de08c102683cbfffae92dafd275acab.jpg