Rambler 6 a Lifetime Engine

and why people have to LS Swap into xj's and MJ's simply confuses me. often just irritates me. Iget tired of these "ls swapped my MJ", "LS swapped my cherokee" "4.0 doesnt run right, so I'm just putting a V8 in there" threads. there is nothing wrong with a good running AMC/Chry 4.0L. Most folks will throw big tires on it, a ton or armor/bumpers, and never change the gears, then think the engine is gutless and then throw a big ugly boat anchor in an engine bay and front frame not made to handle the weight or torque of a V8. A properly geared, properly maintaned 4.0 is a torqy little engine!

and why people have to LS Swap into xj's and MJ's simply confuses me. often just irritates me. Iget tired of these "ls swapped my MJ", "LS swapped my cherokee" "4.0 doesnt run right, so I'm just putting a V8 in there" threads. there is nothing wrong with a good running AMC/Chry 4.0L. Most folks will throw big tires on it, a ton or armor/bumpers, and never change the gears, then think the engine is gutless and then throw a big ugly boat anchor in an engine bay and front frame not made to handle the weight or torque of a V8. A properly geared, properly maintaned 4.0 is a torqy little engine!

or they can just swap to another truck native V8 entirely...

or they can just swap to another truck native V8 entirely...

Another truck isn't an MJ though..

Jeep didnt have a problem putting GM engines in their products, why should you?

225 Odd Fire V6, Buick 350, Chevy 153 4 cyl, GM 2.8 V6

Comanches were made to take the torque of the 4.0 taking off with 2,200 pounds. I don't see how a hot rodded ls with sticky tires would do more twisting than that.

I'd love to put a 400-500 hp 6.2 with a T-56 in my 92, I think it would be a blast. It would also do daily driving duties as docilely as a stock 4.0.

I'd hate to see how temperamental a 450 hp 4.0 based engine would be.

Jeep didnt have a problem putting GM engines in their products, why should you?

225 Odd Fire V6, Buick 350, Chevy 153 4 cyl, GM 2.8 V6

Comanches were made to take the torque of the 4.0 taking off with 2,200 pounds. I don't see how a hot rodded ls with sticky tires would do more twisting than that.

I'd love to put a 400-500 hp 6.2 with a T-56 in my 92, I think it would be a blast. It would also do daily driving duties as docilely as a stock 4.0.

I'd hate to see how temperamental a 450 hp 4.0 based engine would be.

Neither is a Comanche body with a Chevy engine in it.

According to the registration it is. :P

So all the 2.8L Comanches are fakes?
AMC clearly did anything they wanted/could. And yes, some early ones had GM engines in them.

Just because you like or dislike something does not make it good or bad.

LSx based engines, for the most part, are reliable and produce really decent amount of power. Also, there are plenty options around.

To reliably build a 4.0 based stroker to run on pump gas, high power, and reliable is going to cost quite a bit of cash.

Not to say that an LSx swap on a budget is not a difficult task. However, most are run on 87/equivalent low octane with high power output. But any of these swaps, with a proper tune, will run on any grade of fuel you desire.

From an 'I need my vehicle to pass inspection' POV, a 4.0 replacement or stroker makes more sense as no one knows the difference.

I do appreciate and respect my 4.0L, but depending on specific application and use an LSx is a very valid option in my eyes.

The 4.0 is a great engine, but let's not fool ourselves. 190hp and 225 ft-lb is nothing by modern standards. My other vehicle is 21 years old now and has "only" 205 hp and 280 ft-lb and it embarrasses the MJs at any speed by a huge margin.

That said, I'm a little bit of an I6 purist and GM engines don't really do anything for me. IMO the best way to keep an old Jeep in the modern era performance wise is a stroker. Dino Savva reports a 0-60 of 5.9s and a 1/4 mile time of 14.55s with a 4.6L stroker in a 5 speed XJ. I really doubt the typical stroker gives that kind of results, but that shows it can be done. IIRC he had a ton of miles on his stroker too.