Osteosarcoma (Warning: sadness ahead)

ftpiercecracker1

My beloved catahoula leapord (Amos Moses) of 12 years was diagnosed with osteosarcoma (bone cancer) today. I took him in because his right shoulder had swollen up and hes started to limp a little bit.

Unfortunately this cancer, if that's what it truly is, is quite aggressive and becomes more painful as it progresses. The vets prognosis was pretty bleak. He gave him six months to a year to live.

Treatment is the same as with any other cancer cut, burn, and or poison. They would have to amputate his entire front right leg. While this would relieve the pain entirely, it would do nothing to stop the cancer and increase his life expectancy only marginally. In this situation amputation seems to simply be a more aggressive means of pain control.

You can't even begin to understand how much this dog is loved, not only by my family, but also my entire neighborhood. I have a neighbor down on the corner who put a dog door in his house specifically so Amos can come and go as he pleases AND he has a dog food bowl with his name on it in his house. This neighbor has dogs of his own but only Amos is allowed in the house.

In the end the decision was made that because of his advanced age and the advanced stage of cancer that the best course of action would be to manage his pain as best as possible and try and enjoy his companionship for what precious little time we have left with him.

If I can find the time i will try and upload a picture. My brother is the one who found Amos or more accurately Amos found my brother one day 12 years ago while he was out on a job putting up fence. We've had him ever since and he has been the most amazing dog we have ever known. I could write a book on all his amazing qualities, he is truly a one of a kind dog that will never exist again.

If you have had an animal with this disease I would like to know about your experience.

Thanks for reading

FPC.

I feel for you man. I think you did the right thing to hep manage his pain to a toleable level. He will let you know when he is ready to go.  I just had to put down my 14 year old English Pointer. She was my hunting buddy, a hell of a bird finder, and could hold down a rocking chair and take up a queen bed like nobodies business. She developed carcinoma and lung cancer and in a matter of 3 days went from retrieving roosters on friday to having to put her down on Monday when she could no longer breath and keep fluid out of her lungs.. She told us it was time to go. My theory has always been with my animals, to keep them comfortable to a point when their own quality of life suffers. and then it is time. I feel like it is foolish to let an animal suffer just so we can have more time with them. They will let us know when its time for them to go.

^^  Well said. I've had to have several of my best buddies put down throughout the years and it gets tougher each time. Gus, my long-time back yard snake killer, goose fighter, and mechanic's helper is twelve now and can no longer do any of those things well, although he still tries. All we can do is enjoy their company while they are with us, then let them go when the time comes. It's tough...

I feel for you man. I think you did the right thing to hep manage his pain to a toleable level. He will let you know when he is ready to go. I just had to put down my 14 year old English Pointer. She was my hunting buddy, a hell of a bird finder, and could hold down a rocking chair and take up a queen bed like nobodies business. She developed carcinoma and lung cancer and in a matter of 3 days went from retrieving roosters on friday to having to put her down on Monday when she could no longer breath and keep fluid out of her lungs.. She told us it was time to go. My theory has always been with my animals, to keep them comfortable to a point when their own quality of life suffers. and then it is time. I feel like it is foolish to let an animal suffer just so we can have more time with them. They will let us know when its time for them to go.

3 days, my god. I don't know if that made it easier or harder.

For better or worse Amos's condition will be much more drawn out, but he is still here and seems to be doing well given the circumstances. His shoulder and leg have swole up a little more, but he does not seem to pay it that much attention. He definitely favors that leg but he stills gets around quite well.

Without a doubt, the hardest thing about this will be having to put him down even though he is perfectly healthy otherwise.

Without amputation the pain the cancer causes simply becomes to much to bear, even with medication.

My wife and I are dog lovers.  We've had 5 dogs since 1988.  One is still with us.  Our dogs are family members.  When we travel - we have a travel trailer - our dogs come with us.  We do not leave them in kennels.

For 3 of our dogs, we have had to make that "last visit with the vet."  Our first visit was very hard on us.  The visits are always difficult.  

A good book for dog lovers who have lost their "family members" because of illness is Rescuing Sprite, by Mark Levine.

Well gentlemen, this is one update I wish to god I never had to make, but I'm afraid the time has come and gone and now this tiny corner of the world has become a little darker.

At 6:15pm today (5/5/17) my best and most loyal friend of 12 years and unofficial mayor of the neighborhood as ordained by the community left this world. Although I was not able to have an at home euthanasia, his passing was a calm and loving one, with my brother and I at his side through it all. The speed at which the drug takes effect is extremely fast, almost to fast. In one moment his head is up, eyes open, aware of us and the world. Then his head begins to fall, rapidly, as the drug takes him and within a second or two . . . he is gone, his body stirs no more, his are eyes fixed. Even though i know he is not in pain, this transition from 'life' to 'no life' is excruciating to watch and left me in a stupor of disbelief and shock.

The grief and sadness I feel is overwhelming. How could something so precious, so special be ripped from our lives? Torn away as if it never existed.

Before we took him in several neighbors came by to say their last goodbyes. It's hard to convey just how much this dog was loved by the community. The neighbors who came to say goodbye were just as grief stricken as my brother and I. He wasn't just our dog, he was everybody's dog.

I feel sick inside, I've lost a family member that can never, will never be replaced. I know I will recover, but this loss will always stay with me.

I hope to be able to add some pictures here in the coming days. Even though he is gone I can still share his memory with others.

Even though i can't hold you in my arms any more I will always hold you in my heart. I/we love you Amos and always will.

R.I.P.

Thanks for your kind words and understanding.

FPC.

The last time he was at my brothers house.

We have a big oak tree in the pasture behind the house. This is where we decided to bury Amos. My mom's first horse, Daisy May, is buried just 10ft away.  FYI he is still alive in this picture. He is laying in the exact spot where we buried him. 

This is why we choose to put him here. This is our "shop", me and my brother have spent years working on various projects under its tiny roof. Amos was always always with us and we wanted to keep it that way. Now he can rest under the oak tree and continue to watch us for years to come.

Our Cheyenne belief is to not cry for our pets when they leave us, we believe they left us to take the place of another family member, who would have died otherwise. (Honestly, when Mojo passed, I cried like a baby)

So sorry for your loss

To all pet owners' who have lost a loved one:

On the other side of the bridge to forever, 

our animal friends wait for us.

Good-bye hurts so much

but someday you will think

of your animal friend

with smiles instead of tears,

and it will feel as if this little soul 

left a rainbow in your heart.

A card given to us upon the passing of our first friend.