fuel tank swap???

ok so how would one go about making a 20 g Comanche tank fit in a mj that came with the 18 or 16 gallon tank?? i guess my stupid @$$ ordered the wrong tank assuming that if it came with it as an option it should fit. and they won't take the one i got back because i modified it and the right ones still $125 even with the 20% discount the offered me. so how can i make this freaking thing work?  

I believe the MJ tanks are universal.  The 20 g tank used 3 straps, the smaller tanks used just two straps.

(On second thought, the SWB could not fit the larger tank, but I may be incorrect.)

I believe the MJ tanks are universal.  The 20 g tank used 3 straps, the smaller tanks used just two straps.

(On second thought, the SWB could not fit the larger tank, but I may be incorrect.)

ya mines a short bed i tried fitting it in there but the hook brackets for the straps are in the way at it will be really close to the drive shaft, tomorrow ill  look at what it will take to mount it where the spare tire was but need to use this tank its brand new

The big tank doesn't fit under the SWB.

Basically, this is correct. It should be obvious that AMC would not have bothered coming up with a separate, smaller tank if they could have used one tank for both bodies. If you're stuck with a LWB tank and a SWB truck, you just have to experiment and see if you can find some way to shoehorn it in there. My guess it that you won't be able to do it.

The big tank doesn't fit under the SWB.

Basically, this is correct. It should be obvious that AMC would not have bothered coming up with a separate, smaller tank if they could have used one tank for both bodies. If you're stuck with a LWB tank and a SWB truck, you just have to experiment and see if you can find some way to shoehorn it in there. My guess it that you won't be able to do it.

Yeah there is now way it would fit in front of the wheel well. It may fit in the spare tire location maybe. I used a 22 gal Dodge Dakota tank in my SWB and it barely fits and only because it was designed to go under the cab about 6 inches. I spent a lot of time measuring and researching gas tanks and there is just no way it will fit without major modification. Imo you are better off trying to sell it and get the smaller tank or look for other solutions if you really want the extra capacity.

ok here's a question so i got the 18 gallon and a new sending unit/pump Assembly, but when i put it in it looks like sending unit arm is catching on the baffle in the tank! and this is the only sending unit assembly every one of the auto parts stores shows... is it suppose to fit in like that or what?? because I'm about to   take some tin snips to the baffle !!!  :fs1:

Can you tell how far you would have to bend the baffle out of the way? If it's not too far you could probably do it without issue. Idk how you would go about cutting it. Keep in mind no matter what you do, make sure the tank is clean inside before you install it.

they have one for $300+ thats has a baffled sump.. but i can't do that.. if i can manage to cut and bend one corner of the sump the arm will have full motion... otherwise ima just strap the 20 gallon in the bed

Lol the bed mount is always an option. Maybe PM saveevryjp1998 on here. He's been through quite a few yards recently hunting MJs so he may have a tank in good shape or at least be able to get you one.

they have one for $300+ thats has a baffled sump.. but i can't do that.. if i can manage to cut and bend one corner of the sump the arm will have full motion... otherwise ima just strap the 20 gallon in the bed

Lol the bed mount is always an option. Maybe PM saveevryjp1998 on here. He's been through quite a few yards recently hunting MJs so he may have a tank in good shape or at least be able to get you one.

ya my only prob with the bed mount is here in south texas all my damn fuel would evap out, hell i left the new tank in the sun an hour and burned my self picking it up. if i can cut this corner off of this sump ill call it a day and run that, I'm WAYYYY to far in the red funds wise in the tank situation to put any more money in it.... problem is even with my small hands getting enough force with tin snips in there isnt easy

ya my only prob with the bed mount is here in south texas all my damn fuel would evap out, hell i left the new tank in the sun an hour and burned my self picking it up. if i can cut this corner off of this sump ill call it a day and run that, I'm WAYYYY to far in the red funds wise in the tank situation to put any more money in it.... problem is even with my small hands getting enough force with tin snips in there isnt easy

Well for now bed mount it and throw a sheet of plywood across the front half of the bed to keep the sun off the tank until you can get a better solution.