AW4 Trans update

My 88 auto has lost reverse, so I'm trying to figure out all my options.

Rebuild = Last option

Linkage issue = If I'm lucky

Replace = Likely

As far as replacing with a bolt-in goes. I can get a used AW4 from a early 90's Cherokee. To do this swap I know I need to change the input gears to 23 splines.

I'm new to this level of repair, so my question is this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/242-WJ-Jeep-23-Spline-Input-Gear-FREE-KWIK-SHIP-/172556871958?hash=item282d30e916:g:sZEAAOSwPgxVLYPQ&vxp=mtr

Is this all I need and how much labor is involved in replacing?

Thanks guys!

Sounds like your tranny has taken a dump. I'm in that situation now, my 89 doesn't have reverse and half the forward gears don't work either. As I began to tear down my rig I noticed the transmission cooler (in front of the radiator) lines were completely crimped from a previous collision and wondered if that led to the tranny overheating and causing the current issues. The solenoids in the tranny pan don't control reverse so if you have issues in reverse gear its probably a mechanical issue in the case.

Anyways, if you've never pulled a transmission before it helps if you have someone who has. It's not a super difficult job, but it's not as easy as changing your oil and can be time consuming. For a direct transmission swap you'll want to find an 87-90 AW4. If you get a 91+ with 23 splines then it will not mate up to your stock transfercase, but you can swap the 23 spline transfercase along with the donor tranny if its available.

Here's a thread with lots of info on the AW4.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1053970

Thanks for the replies. I know the correct spline count and I've read the NAXJA post a bazzillion times! LOL!

The post states, when updating an 87-90, "1990.5-1996 are bolt-in as long as you swap input gears in your transfer case to a 23 spline, or swap the transfer case as well."

It's suggested that I DO NOT need a transfer case, if, I swap input gears. However, "gears" is plural. More than one? This is what I need help with.

Tom,

From the Classifieds yesterday:

http://comancheclub.com/topic/52735-fs-89-jeep-comanche-transmission-and-transfer-case-tx/

A possible solution for you?

Sure, it's possible, albeit a bit far. Haha! The "good" thing about my current trans is that all the forward gears work. So, as long as have pull-through parking options, I'm golden!

Thanks, John, for the heads-up though. BTW, any luck finding interior parts from my other post?

A 91 up trans still isn't a bolt in, even if you swap the tcase or the tcase input gear.  They used a different TV cable on the later ones, and the actual TV itself is different.  Wiring also changed some at some point.  It can be made to work, but don't expect it to just be a bolt in and go.

And as always, be sure you retain your Renix specific flexplate.