Can someone demystify seat options?

Ive been reading the various threads on seat options. I understand that some Dodge Dakota and some S10 seats will work but none of the threads give specific years that will work.

Now when I say "will work", I am not talking about bracketry. I mean will physically fit between the doors and won't be too tall once they clear the trans hump. They must also fold forward.

I have a welder and worked as a welder in a custom metal fabrication shop for 7 years, so I'm not afraid or modifications.

I currently have two comanches. A 1991 and a 1988. The 1991 has factory cloth buckets but they are in horrible shape. 

The 1988 has 4-door XJ seats, and I hate them.

I am interested in bench seats with center consoles. 40-20-40

Thanks!

Mnkyboys posted this thread from 2009 using some 97 Dakota seats.  Not sure if it what you want.  Missing link to be filled in later.

Building brackets to fit Dakota seats to Comanche:  http://comancheclub.com/topic/26085-the-family-truck/page-5

Another bench seat thread posted by another CC member:  http://comancheclub.com/topic/35724-bench-seat-options/

This thread has more information and pictures:  http://comancheclub.com/topic/28848-anybody-ever-use-a-bench-out-of-another-truck/?hl=dakota+bench&do=findComment&comment=295290

Even more information and more pictures in this thread:  http://comancheclub.com/topic/20681-installed-2005-dakota-bench-pics-inside/?hl=dakota+bench

One more with comments on how the seat fits:  http://comancheclub.com/topic/20129-dakota-402040-seat-brackets/?hl=dakota+bench&do=findComment&comment=214252

Above are just some of the 19 hits I got when I put "dakota bench" into the search box:  http://comancheclub.com/index.php?app=core&module=search&do=search&fromMainBar=1

Using the term "S10 bench" in the search box returned just one result from way back in 2007:  http://comancheclub.com/topic/7054-s10-bench-seat/?hl=s10+bench

Put the term "bench seat" in the search engine box and you will get over 300 hits.  Just takes time to find the gems.

Not a whole lot of specific measurements.  But a good place to start.  http://comancheclub.com/topic/38352-bucket-seat-platform/?hl=ranger+bench&do=findComment&comment=386761

For bucket seats, I used Grand Cherokee seats and added the fold forward mechanism from a 2 door Cherokee XJ.  That solved the MJ bucket seat problem for me.  There are several others here who used that solution.

Please do keep us updated with what you find and I am sure others will add more information here.  Pretty soon, we will have some really good and up to date information.

Edited by johnj92131

For bucket seats, I used Grand Cherokee seats and added the fold forward mechanism from a 2 door Cherokee XJ.  That solved the MJ bucket seat problem for me.  There are several others here who used that solution.

Got pics of this?

I used XJ inner brackets and MJ bench outer brackets since I couldn't find MJ bucket brackets. Used 1 inch square tube steel to extend the back out to mount the seat. Used more tube steel on the inside of the WJ seat so it wouldn't raise up the seat any taller than it had to be. Still making final adjustments before welding everything down but I have plenty of room as it sits for the seat belts, interior pieces, center console and sliding. I'm going to use a piece of 550 cord and tie it to the forward folding mechanism then to the headrest. This will give me the ability to tilt my seats forward without having to smash my hand between the seat and the interior trim.

Got pics of this?

Here are two quick pictures of the driver seat.

G1OWBuO.jpg

5xmgMKh.jpg

I used XJ inner brackets and MJ bench outer brackets since I couldn't find MJ bucket brackets. Used 1 inch square tube steel to extend the back out to mount the seat. Used more tube steel on the inside of the WJ seat so it wouldn't raise up the seat any taller than it had to be. Still making final adjustments before welding everything down but I have plenty of room as it sits for the seat belts, interior pieces, center console and sliding. I'm going to use a piece of 550 cord and tie it to the forward folding mechanism then to the headrest. This will give me the ability to tilt my seats forward without having to smash my hand between the seat and the interior trim.

Any pictures of the mounting?  Would love to see them.  I just used flat stock and the seats flex a bit.

Any pictures of the mounting?  Would love to see them.  I just used flat stock and the seats flex a bit.

Don't have any yet but when I get the truck back and start welding everything up i'll grab some pics. I'm only 5'6 and 200lbs so the flat pieces didn't hold my weight well. That's why I switched to square tube. I'll get you some pics though

• 2 weeks later...

Of course I had already did a lot of searching before I started the thread. Still no specific models and date ranges. 

Here's a little summary;

-Comanche addict fit 2001 Dodge Dakota seats.

-MJ Maniac fits a bench from a 1997 Dakota.

-Comanche fan installed seats from a Ranger (he believed it was a 2000)(some say the ranger seats sit too high)

-Comanche Aficionado has a bench from an 04 Dakota Sport Quad cab.

-Mnkboy has a bench from a 2006-2007 Mitsubishi Raider (Dakota clone)

Info from Mnkyboy: 

- Some 97-04 Dak seats came with a drivers manual lumbar adjustment (not sure on '05+).

- Some 97-04 Dak seats do not have the flip out cupholders in the front center of the seat (not sure on '05+, the one I saw did not have it).

- Some 97-04 Dak Crew Cabs came with a bench, however the seat backs do not fold forward on these, and no pop out cupholders.

My Google searching for seat widths has not given me much as far as things like "How wide is a Comanche/Dakota/Ranger/etc seat".

So I started to look for interior compartment dimensions.  From "The Jeep Book" 1991, I found "hip room" listed as 55.3 inches for the Comanche and for the front of the Cherokee.

From http://4x4dakota.org/dodge-dakota-1991-1996-specs/   1991-96 first generation Dakota "hip room"  56.0 for standard and extended cab.

For 1997- 2004 Dakota "hip room"  54.9 inches for all cabs

For 2005-2007 and 2008-2011 Dakota "hip room"  54.9 inches for all cabs.

EDIT:

Ford Ranger/Chevy Blazer/S-10 pickup hip room seems to be in the 52 inch ranges.  Indicating about 3 inches less than the Comanche.  So seat width from these vehicles would not seem to be an issue.

-Mnkyboy has a bench from a 2006-2007 Mitsubishi Raider (Dakota clone)

Info from Mnkyboy:

- Some 97-04 Dak seats came with a drivers manual lumbar adjustment (not sure on '05+).

- Some 97-04 Dak seats do not have the flip out cupholders in the front center of the seat (not sure on '05+, the one I saw did not have it).

- Some 97-04 Dak Crew Cabs came with a bench, however the seat backs do not fold forward on these, and no pop out cupholders.

Mnkyboy definitely has 97 Dakota seats, not sure who posted the other info.

-Mnkyboy has a bench from a 2006-2007 Mitsubishi Raider (Dakota clone)

Info from Mnkyboy:

Mnkyboy definitely has 97 Dakota seats, not sure who posted the other info.

Here is the link to the Raider seats:   http://comancheclub.com/topic/20681-installed-2005-dakota-bench-pics-inside/?hl=raider

Good pictures showing how to mount the seats and the center console.

Mnkyboy,

How about posting the total width of your front seats from passenger door to driver door at the widest part?

I have my Grand Cherokee seats set about as far apart as possible - side of seat back is against side of cab.  Wonder how your Dakota seats compare to the Grand Cherokee seats for comfort?  Have you sat in G.C. seats to compare?  Must say, I like the center console with the Dakota seats and the Cup holder Comanche09 put in the center console.

• 4 months later...

I just picked up a Comanche and I plan to put a set of seats from a Hyundai Tiburon in it.   I've done the same conversion in my XJ, TJ and LJ.   I used the stock floor brackets and sliders, made some flat bar brackets and bolted them together with grade 8 hardware.