What year clusters interchange?

I picked up a 89 Comanche with the non tach cluster, what years could I substitute to get one with a tach?  It is a 4 liter 5 speed 4x4. 

I have one from a 96 cherokee 4 liter  but am thinking it won't work?

Also, do I have to change the wiring to get the tach to work?  I'm guessing I have to change the oil and coolant sensors.

1986-1990 with the blue back are inter changeable, they will have 2 electrical connections and a speedometer cable. The 1996 will not work because they only have the 2 electrical connections and not a speedometer cable. If you're going to swap you cluster with idiot lights to a cluster with all gauges it is all plug and play,  you will just have to change your oil and coolant senders to sensors. I just did the swap not to long ago.

84-86, 87-90, 91-96 are the year splits. The difference between 84-86 and 87-90 is the speedometer cable connection. The 87-90 cable uses a plastic end with a hinged clip. You just need to swap the senders to make the gauges work properly, the tach will work out of the box.

Any cluster from 87-90 will work. The speedo end needs to look like this:

QPigU2jl.jpg

I just did this swap myself and other than some difficulty getting the instrument cover out if was a piece of cake. Works great and looks like it was there from the factory. Check the classified's on here. There are several part out's you can get one from.

84-86, 87-90, 91-96 are the year splits. The difference between 84-86 and 87-90 is the speedometer cable connection. The 87-90 cable uses a plastic end with a hinged clip. You just need to swap the senders to make the gauges work properly, the tach will work out of the box.

QPigU2jl.jpg

Perfect description!!!! I wasn't sure when they went from the metal tab retaining the cable to the plastic clip. 

IIRC, 84 to 86 clusters were made in the USA and after that made in Japan. 

QPigU2jl.jpg

Perfect description!!!! I wasn't sure when they went from the metal tab retaining the cable to the plastic clip.

i have a 84-86 style amc cluster and it says Japan on it

QPigU2jl.jpg

The 86 I had said USA.....

QPigU2jl.jpg

The 86 I had said USA.....

your response doesn't show. Lol