To SYE or not to SYE?

Ok, all joking aside, I was originally planning to not install an SYE on the MJ after the AX15 4WD swap but in thinking more and more about it I'd appreciate the feedback of the folks on the board before I decide to order a new rear driveshaft. So I've swapped in an AX15 with a 231 and am swapping in an 8.8 rear axle and going SOA. Net result should be around 6" of lift and I'm debating about what type of setup I should go with, a fixed yoke or stick with the slip yoke. Eitherway I'm going to have to order a new driveshaft but I want to be really comfortable that I won't end up making the wrong choice and having to order an SYE and new shaft if I stick with slip yoke. Input appreciated.

TIA

Yeah, I'm thinking with an SYE I definitely won't have to worry about the rear and with a double CV setup I can handle higher driveline angles if needed. I just need to figure out which way I'm going before I put in the 8.8 and tack in the perches. Thanks for the feedback!

Just throwing this out there, I went to a 6.5" lift on my XJ with no sye and it pulled out the slipjoint in the out put yoke so far that it was only hanging by about an inch. It started to rotate in an oval pattern and caused this awful grinding noise and high speed noises. Put the sye in and all the noises went away. I thought my rear carrier was ready to grenade until we figured it needed the sye.

What is SYE?

Slip Yoke Eliminator

Which is a kit that converts the slip yoke on the rear driveshaft/transfer case output into a fixed yoke on the output.  Then you need a new driveshaft.  Most people opt for a double cardon "CV" type driveshaft at that point, but with a MJ you could actually run a single in most instances, although part of the nice thing about going to a double cardon setup is you can angle the pinion up and protect the driveshaft and pinion yoke some.

I'm running the AA HD kit in my NP231, and I have a retubed front driveshaft.  The driveshaft is a little wimpy for that much length, but it's been doing fine; there is rock rash on it from when I ran it in my last MJ so it will need to be replaced eventually anyways.  I would not run a retubed front driveshaft in a LWB though.