Control Arms

I bought fixed RE ones. They do what I want. If I wanted better performance for off road use it would probably buy the TMR ones with Johnny Joints on each end, but they're expensive and those joints don't last like an OEM style bushing.

You need to define want you intend for the truck to do before I could give you a better answer.

I bought fixed RE ones. They do what I want. If I wanted better performance for off road use it would probably buy the TMR ones with Johnny Joints on each end, but they're expensive and those joints don't last like an OEM style bushing.

You need to define want you intend for the truck to do before I could give you a better answer.

Basically the truck is going to see light off road use.  Also this is my first time doing all the work on my MJ so this a huge learning experience.  So I would like to keep it simple if possible.  Thank again 

Basically the truck is going to see light off road use.  Also this is my first time doing all the work on my MJ so this a huge learning experience.  So I would like to keep it simple if possible.  Thank again 

I'd recommend reviewing the DIY Master Index as it has a great set of links for resources on everything from basics to advanced here: http://comancheclub.com/topic/48710-diy-projects-writeups-master-search-index/

There's also a link to a good table of control arm lengths based on lift. If you go with adjustable's you can tune your control arms to these specs: http://comancheclub.com/topic/28233-lift-vs-control-arm-length-table/

Good luck!

Read, read, and read some more.  There is literally an endless supply of information on the web.

And then, after it all completely confuses you ..... just do something and see how it goes.  After all, there is no perfect choice.  

If you are new to modifying Jeeps, the best way to learn is to DO.  No amount of internet reading can replace real world experience.  

But with all that said, I'd recommend searching the classifieds for a set of used adjustable lower AND upper arms.  Being able to dial in your caster angle helps with road manners a lot.

Go WJ arms as they are Cheap and Easy to install plus they still have that stock feel...

Will WJ arms work with a 3 inch lift?  Thanks

They aren't any longer. They're better in every other way though. So yeah, you can use them, but they're a bit short for 3" lift, but you can buy a factory style caster shims (and the forks if you break the studs off them) and shim to get the correct caster.

If you're going with aftermarket arms I would recommend the JKS J-Axis control arms. I have them on my MJ and they are BEEFY, rebuildable, made here in the U.S and use the factory rubber bushings for comfort and serviceability. I'm not in business with them in any way, but I believe if youre going to replace suspension, steering or brake components stick with either OEM or companies with seriously good reputations, just my 2 pennies worth.

If you're going with aftermarket arms I would recommend the JKS J-Axis control arms. I have them on my MJ and they are BEEFY, rebuildable, made here in the U.S and use the factory rubber bushings for comfort and serviceability. I'm not in business with them in any way, but I believe if youre going to replace suspension, steering or brake components stick with either OEM or companies with seriously good reputations, just my 2 pennies worth.

Thank you....Wow these things are crazy expensive compared to other brands. 

Thank you....Wow these things are crazy expensive compared to other brands. 

Yes they are, I would try the WJ arms and adjust the caster ( if you actually need to) with shims first. they're fully boxed, have a dip in them to clear bigger tires and should be readily available cheaply at your local junk yard, good luck :cheers:

Since he's just going 3", can't he use the J-Link control arms?

Yes he should be able to use them without any issues, there's tons of great options out there, I would have personally gone the WJ arm route though.

Yes he should be able to use them without any issues, there's tons of great options out there, I would have personally gone the WJ arm route though.

Any reason (other than price) to go WJ? I'm trying to learn about lift kits and what's all required

They're fully boxed ( Stronger ) and they have a bend that if I'm not mistaken allows for bigger tires without rubbing, there may be more advantages that I'm not aware of but there was a thread started not too long ago by one of the members here that installed them in his MJ.

What are the other options that are compare to the JKS control arms?  Thanks

They're fully boxed ( Stronger ) and they have a bend that if I'm not mistaken allows for bigger tires without rubbing, there may be more advantages that I'm not aware of but there was a thread started not too long ago by one of the members here that installed them in his MJ.

Stronger than the Links?

Stronger than the Links?

They're stronger than the stock channel arms. Not stronger than probably any of the aftermarket ones.

Stronger than the Links?

They're stronger than the stock channel arms. Not stronger than probably any of the aftermarket ones.

Are there any other decent aftermarket arms?

Stronger than the Links?

Are there any other decent aftermarket arms?

Rubicon Express makes a good product. Link

Not sure why people think aftermarket tubular replacement arms are any longer then stock because they are not unless they are adjustable and

the benefits to aftermarket arms is the tubular design which is stronger and easier to swap bushings, yes you get a little more droop out of the tubular

arms but that's because the tube is lower down closer to the centerline of the bushing then the OE arms are...

The main reasons I mention the WJ arms:

- Cheap

- easy to get

- come with bushings installed

- offset with a bend to fit larger wheels with stock or aftermarket rims

- stronger then OE U channel

I personally have never run them but have sold lots to people that want a quick cheap option...

Just google "Cherokee adjustable control arms" and you'll get a ton of results
Current flavor of the week is Core4x4 stage two
There's also ironman4x4 fabrication, metalcloak, Iron rock off road, rusty's (wouldn't suggest it) and rough country to name a few. All will give the same benefits as WJ arms just adjustable. If you're tight on fund go with new WJ arms. I'm running them on 3.5 inch lift now to clear my 31x10.5s on stock wheels. They're not hard to install but does take a bit of grinding and some words not suitable for small children.

Not sure why people think aftermarket tubular replacement arms are any longer then stock because they are not unless they are adjustable and

the benefits to aftermarket arms is the tubular design which is stronger and easier to swap bushings, yes you get a little more droop out of the tubular

arms but that's because the tube is lower down closer to the centerline of the bushing then the OE arms are...

Most of them are longer...  Do your homework before buying to ensure you're getting the right ones.