Another "Dash and Tail Lights not working" thread... ugh

Hey guys,  so I have been reading and reading on here over the last few weeks and I simply cannot figure out why my dash lights and tail lights are not working.

My truck- http://comancheclub.com/topic/52039-1988-mj-sb-4cyl-new-to-me

1988 4cyl 2WD

The lights were intermittent as I bought the truck and before I did the dash/gauge swap... Now, I cannot get these lights to work to save my life.

Here's the trouble I found during the dash swap-

Things I have done-

• Triple checked fuses
  • Verified the ground above the E-brake release
  • replaced Headlight Switch with one from an '89 @ junkyard and even a brand new one

I guess there are two ways forward to identify the issues-

1. Is the problem with the tail lights causing the dash lights not to work
  2. Is the problem with the dash lights causing the tail lights not to work

If you y'all have any suggestions or links to other write-ups that maybe I haven't seen, I would be greatly appreciated!

As i understand it, your dash lights are engineered to NOT work if your taillights are not working.  It's a visual in cab indication to let you know that your tails are not working.  Mine did the same thing and it was a case of hacked up trailer connector wiring.  If you get the tails working, the dash lights should come on.  if you have a trailer connection, search the forum for the correct wiring, make sure that its correct  and see what happens.

As i understand it, your dash lights are engineered to NOT work if your taillights are not working. It's a visual in cab indication to let you know that your tails are not working. Mine did the same thing and it was a case of hacked up trailer connector wiring. If you get the tails working, the dash lights should come on. if you have a trailer connection, search the forum for the correct wiring, make sure that its correct and see what happens.

This is true with ALL vehicles.

As i understand it, your dash lights are engineered to NOT work if your taillights are not working.  It's a visual in cab indication to let you know that your tails are not working.  Mine did the same thing and it was a case of hacked up trailer connector wiring.  If you get the tails working, the dash lights should come on.  if you have a trailer connection, search the forum for the correct wiring, make sure that its correct  and see what happens.

Yes, I understand exactly about the logic between the dashlights and taillights.  I had not thought about the trailer connection.  I'll check that out here in a few.  thanks!

Thanks horn, yeah that's on the list.  RMFT! (I'm from Mobile)