I should probably do a build thread....

Tex06

For everything I've got into this truck so far.  Meh, it wouldn't make any sense at this point I'd end up with just a vomit of pictures and half explanations.

Anyways, anyone here have ideas on how to remove a spraybomb paint job without going to bare metal?  I've tried lacquer thinner, paint thinner, acetone, all to no avail.  The previous owner (one of 'em anyways) rattle canned the entire truck green....just not the same green as stock.  I wanna get a single stage urethane with hardener but have to remove all this lacquer or acrylic or whatever Rust-Oleum is (could be Wal-Mart brand, you never know!).

I'm trying to chemically strip the spray paint off without damaging the original coating too much and really REALLY don't wanna wet sand the whole truck.  Although I know that's probably gonna be the solution.....

Also, does the picture vomit sound like it would be helpful?  I've got loads of pics from this thing.

Vomit away , I like pics .

Sometimes you get lucky when stripping paint and it will come off a layer at a time ,yours ? I don't know .Some of the " graffiti remover" stripper does a good job removing spray paint and not automotive paint , but there is no guarantee what's going to happen .oven cleaner is an option too , Good luck

I'm in the same boat as you. The PO spray painted the whole truck. I've found that just elbow grease and sandpaper is doing a decent job at removing it, obviously a palm sander is the way to go to do the whole truck. Mine is just sprayed over the clear coat though. Is yours sanded and then painted or just painted over the clear? To get a nice finish from the new paint you are going to have to do some sanding no matter what.

I think he scuffed the clear then hit it with spray.  I was able to chip a little off with a pressure washer, gonna try the 3200 psi unit at work this week if time allows.  I'll give graffiti remover a shot, I hadn't thought of that.

I think he scuffed the clear then hit it with spray. I was able to chip a little off with a pressure washer, gonna try the 3200 psi unit at work this week if time allows. I'll give graffiti remover a shot, I hadn't thought of that.

If the clear coat is scuffed then the graffiti remover may get through and eat the factory paint. I would do a small spot first and make sure that it doesn't before doing the whole thing.

MEK or Winsol will kill the spraybomb.  Winsol is a little hard to find, but much less harmful than MEK.  If you use MEK please wear gloves, be in a well ventilated area, and use an appropriately rated respirator...

I'm surprised acetone didn't.  It might have just needed some soak time.  Try soaking a towel with it and laying it on the area you want to remove.

MEK or Winsol will kill the spraybomb.  Winsol is a little hard to find, but much less harmful than MEK.  If you use MEK please wear gloves, be in a well ventilated area, and use an appropriately rated respirator...

I'm surprised acetone didn't.  It might have just needed some soak time.  Try soaking a towel with it and laying it on the area you want to remove.

Already did with the acetone rag and let sit for 5-10 min rewetting every min or so.  I'll give MEK a try but this stuff has been on for years.  I know its about as bad as xylene, that stuff made me hallucinate once!

Also the acetone and paint thinner both made a little green wipe off onto the towel.  Just didn't actually remove the paint even with soaking/vigorous scrubbing.