Renix Engine Monitor scan tool

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tim, I hope you get a commission for posting this since the seller is now sold out.  :yes:

I'm surprised I haven't seen this before, actually, since the Comanche community is one of the larger Renix resources.

That said, I don't spend as much time reading stuff as I used to.

I could hug you just for letting me in on the fact that this exists... I've been wanting to be able to monitor my Renix's since I got them. Now I can start knocking out whatever is making my gas mileage slightly low

Thanks for the offer, but let's just shake hands  :rotf:

I notice a few year back that my MPG dropped a lot.  I used to get 400+ on a tank.  Now, I get ~325 per tank.  I don't do as much highway driving, but that should not change the MPG that much.  The scan tool showed my long term fuel trim is +25%.  That may account for the drop in MPG.

The difference between highway and mixed driving is usually pretty noticeable for me. It's a difference between 18 mpg cruising at 75mph or so and 13 or so city only, so when I was living just outside the city with almost an even split, I was getting 15-16 mpg. This also rapidly deteriorates if we get snow, cause I'll spend a goodly amount of time sideways in 4x4 (totally by accident B) ) which generally leads to single digits. Winter driving also tends to bring it down a bit as well between 4x4 use and leaving it idling longer.

I'm getting 16-18 mixed driving with my 2wd/auto/4.0. It's not the worst, but I know I could push 20 out of it if I get everything perfect.

And that's with cruising at 60-65

I get 16, running 75-85 a fair amount. 2wd/AX-15/4.0 with 31's all around.

I'm getting 16-18 mixed driving with my 2wd/auto/4.0. It's not the worst, but I know I could push 20 out of it if I get everything perfect.

I get 16, running 75-85 a fair amount. 2wd/AX-15/4.0 with 31's all around.

Got the correct speedo gear installed for those 31's and whatever gear ratio you have?

Very cool, this is very similar to the DashHawk I run in my MazdaSpeed 3.....just lets me monitor things and when sensors start to go, you can track them down before the completely $h1T the bed, lol.

Does such an animal exist for the HO motors?  I would be very interested in one (Don, you can come back now....)

On the highway at 60-65 mph you should be able to get 23/24 mpg.  First thing to check is you tires - make sure you have 32-35 psi all the way around.  At that 60-65 mph my H.O./AW4 can get 23/24 if I keep the speed closer to 55/60 - I can manage 26 mpg.  The Renix should be a bit better.

On the highway at 60-65 mph you should be able to get 23/24 mpg. First thing to check is you tires - make sure you have 32-35 psi all the way around. At that 60-65 mph my H.O./AW4 can get 23/24 if I keep the speed closer to 55/60 - I can manage 26 mpg. The Renix should be a bit better.

I actually did just fill my tires last week because they were at 27 PSI with one of them at 22. Filled them to 33 each and noticed a slight increase in mileage this week. I would LOVE to see low 20's in this Jeep.

The engine monitor works, here are a few things i noted on my drive to work:

MAP and VAC, are in normal ranges

Water Temp, stayed at 180-189 (Using 195 T-Stat)

Intake air temp, 95-107

RPM same as gauge cluster

Battery voltage, ~13.6v (gauge cluster indicates ~10v)

vO2, less that 2v while driving

Exhaust gas status, LEAN

Loop Status, open loop while driving, DECEL (fuel cutoff) while engine braking.

Knock Sensor, had some nock (less that 10) before the engine came to temp), about 2-25 while driving

Short term fuel trim, 128 (ECU baseline)

Long term fuel trim, 148 ( > 128 The ECU needs more fuel than normal to run properly)

Pictures Coming Soon

So for one reason or another the ECU is ignoring the O2 sensor data and using the base data instead.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SUnJJ5k.jpg

Fab'd up a mount to put it there. Super nice :D

How did you mount it?

In other news, my wife has approved the purchase of a 3D printer if there is any tax return leftover after Jeep repairs....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Lheh9Rl.jpg

Just an L-bracket that I made out of some sheet metal I had laying around. Then 3 short self-drilling screws and I notched the dash panel in front of the cluster for the wire to run up behind.

Nickintime has on his facebook page a "possible" relocation of the units display to the clock panel location, making it part of the panel, not a separate box.

However, his reply to my comment is that it would replace the existing panel.  So, if you have a factory clock (which mine does) and it still works (mine does), his panel would replace the factory panel, ie: no clock.  He said he might build in a clock.

I am still trying to figure out where to mount mine.  I was looking at the blank space to the left of the lighter.  I have nothing in that spot, but the Cat5 cable interferes with that location.  

My second spot is on the dash, next to the A pillar.  Easily viewable and reachable when driving, but will be baking in the summer sun.