Astro van hydroboost brakes

This is a pretty common swap in 'the rest of the world.'

Curious if anyone has done so on the MJ/XJ platform and what problems they ran into?

I seriously need to upgrade my brake booster, but just going out and doing something that's proven and easy would be boring...  Plus I can probably snag a hydroboost and master for very little money from the 'yard.  Nope, I haven't done even the most basic of research such as to check the MC bore size or what other MCs bolt to it, but I will later tonight.

• 2 months later...

Any luck with the research on this Dirty C..... with my limited experience with square body GMs my thinking is it will fit on firewall, the exciting part might be in fitting in the power steering pump, 

I kinda shelved it for the time being, and haven't done anything about it.  I was trying to snag a Ford unit and an Astro unit to try fitting up, but both of the ones I was going for slipped away on me.  I also want to get my other chassis over to try fitting it on, since I am daily driving my MJ right now.

As for the pump I was probably just going to get the 01-04 V8 WJ pump, it fits nicely onto the Renix or early HO brackets (you need to either swap the pulley or mill about .300" off the bracket, I milled the one in my XJ when I did it).  This pump is factory ported and has the best flow characteristics of any TC pump, plus the reservoir has dual return ports.  I believe at least the GM hydroboosts use the same fittings as an XJ/MJ, so the XJ/MJ pump outlet fitting in the WJ pump should allow you to run GM pressure hoses.  There may be some messing around to get ones that fit well, I was going to look at my plowtruck at some point since it runs a GM hydroboost although it is the more typical P pump setup.  If all else fails Vanco sells fittings and hoses for generic installations.

I would do some costing prior to actually purchasing anything other than mockup parts.  Getting a WJ booster and master is probably a more economical swap.  It is only $125 for a reman booster, or $150 for a new one off Rockauto (Canadian pricing), and $85 for a new master cylinder with reservoir.  Junkyard parts should be cheaper.