More payload add-a-leafs.

Afternoon fella's! I had seen a post from a LONG time ago about Hellcreek having add a leafs that simply increased payload. There was a regular one and a metric ton one. I loved the idea and looked into them. I contacted Tom from Hellcreek and he told me that they discontinued them (bummer). Does anyone else sell something similiar? I want to increase payload but can not afford the 500-1000$ for a set of MT springs right now. The auto MJ that I bought a couple months ago is going to end up being my trailer tow-er/weekend-pickup-supplies-from-the-hardware-store truck and I would like for it to be able to handle a little more weight.

I don't know from experience, but I have heard that XJ and S10 leafs give almost no lift. Make your ride pretty harsh though. Airbags are very easy to install, you don't need a compressor, you just fill them up like you would fill up a tire. Wouldn't make your ride harsh either.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

I don't know from experience, but I have heard that XJ and S10 leafs give almost no lift. Make your ride pretty harsh though. Airbags are very easy to install, you don't need a compressor, you just fill them up like you would fill up a tire. Wouldn't make your ride harsh either.

I haven't gotten around to verifying it yet, but I believe that a cut-off XJ main leaf would be perfect for adding carrying capacity without adding lift. The key is to find an AAL that has approximately the same free arch as the MJ springs have when sitting at curb weight (unloaded). Unscientific eyeballing tells me that an XJ main leaf should be about right, but I haven't actually crawled under one of my MJs with an XJ leaf in hand to compare.

There is no reason why an XJ AAL would make the ride harsh. I've done the XJ AAL using cut-off main leaves twice, and the resulting ride was very comfortable. I see no reason why it would be any less comfortable in an MJ.

Keep in mind that the XJ uses 5/16" center pins for the springs, where the MJ uses 3/8" pins. You'll probably have to drill out the holes if you use XJ leaves.

I haven't gotten around to verifying it yet, but I believe that a cut-off XJ main leaf would be perfect for adding carrying capacity without adding lift. The key is to find an AAL that has approximately the same free arch as the MJ springs have when sitting at curb weight (unloaded). Unscientific eyeballing tells me that an XJ main leaf should be about right, but I haven't actually crawled under one of my MJs with an XJ leaf in hand to compare.

There is no reason why an XJ AAL would make the ride harsh. I've done the XJ AAL using cut-off main leaves twice, and the resulting ride was very comfortable. I see no reason why it would be any less comfortable in an MJ.

Keep in mind that the XJ uses 5/16" center pins for the springs, where the MJ uses 3/8" pins. You'll probably have to drill out the holes if you use XJ leaves.

Hmm. Also sounds cheap! Plenty of people around here part out xj's for super cheap. Last time I was at the JY there was a metric ton packaged XJ as well, I'm sure that main leaf would add a good bit. I need to look into the free arch and see if they would work...

Hmm. Also sounds cheap! Plenty of people around here part out xj's for super cheap. Last time I was at the JY there was a metric ton packaged XJ as well, I'm sure that main leaf would add a good bit. I need to look into the free arch and see if they would work...

I don't know what you think you saw, but there was never a Metric Tonne" package for the XJ.

I don't know what you think you saw, but there was never a Metric Tonne" package for the XJ.

it had a D44. That's why I thought it was metric ton.

I have seen comparison pictures of S10 main leafs, they are very similar to MJ mains. An S10 leaf will give lift to an XJ, but not an MJ.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

An MJ main leaf will give lift to an MJ, just as an XJ main leaf gives a lift to an XJ. In the XJ, using a second set of main leaves with the eyes cut off results in 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 inch of lift. The same is reported to be the case for the MJ. To get additional load capacity without adding lift, you need an AAL that matches the loaded (at empty curb weight) arch of the springs, not the free arch.

How much weight capacity are you needing to add?

Air shocks will let you add about 500 lbs of capacity when you need it and not kill your ride when you don't need it.  Also do a good job of raising the back end of the truck when a trailer has pushed it way down. See post #10 in this thread for good information:

http://comancheclub.com/topic/22263-looking-to-install-new-shockshelp/

Air Bags wil typically add a good 1000 lbs of capacity and cost a little bit more than shocks.  They too are adjustable, so you don't give up a normal ride.  Stronger leaf springs will - GENERALLY give you a harsher ride all the time.  See this link:

http://www.jcwhitney.com/timbren-ses-helper-springs/p3091516.jcwx?skuId=2338849&TID=gglpla&origin=pla&VSID=d50344y1992j1&92JeCoTimTBNJRC01&gclid=CPq_48zE1NACFUpNfgodulMPbQ

How much weight capacity are you needing to add?

Air shocks will let you add about 500 lbs of capacity when you need it and not kill your ride when you don't need it. Also do a good job of raising the back end of the truck when a trailer has pushed it way down. See post #10 in this thread for good information:

http://comancheclub.com/topic/22263-looking-to-install-new-shockshelp/

Air Bags wil typically add a good 1000 lbs of capacity and cost a little bit more than shocks. They too are adjustable, so you don't give up a normal ride. Stronger leaf springs will - GENERALLY give you a harsher ride all the time. See this link:

http://www.jcwhitney.com/timbren-ses-helper-springs/p3091516.jcwx?skuId=2338849&TID=gglpla&origin=pla&VSID=d50344y1992j1&92JeCoTimTBNJRC01&gclid=CPq_48zE1NACFUpNfgodulMPbQ

I would LIKE to be able to do 2000 pounds every once in awhile. If the occasion appeared where I need to. (Very rare occasion) I like those shocks... Alot. Especially the price. I will probably end up getting a set of those and add an XJ main leaf for kicks. I think that will more than fix me up enough. Would the air shocks be fine with up to a 2" lift, though? Just in case I do decide to lift it slightly when I get 31's.

Would they fit with a 2 inch lift?  I sure don't know.  But, they are $60 for the pair.  So IF "just in case" you go to a 2 inch lift - not much $$ to loose if you need to buy different shocks.

You could also look at how the Monroe MA828 mounts.  Uses  "Loop Bushing& Sleeve Mount - 14M"\M Sleeve ID X 1.11/16" Sleeve OAL" mounting top and bottom compared to the MA820 which uses "Loop Bushing Mount - 5/8" Bushing ID X 1.5/16" Bushing OAL", top and bottom.  The MA828 has an extra 1.5 inches of travel compared to the MA820.  Got this info from the Monroe web site.  No personal experience. 

If it were my choice, I would just buy the MA820 air shocks and call it good.  If you need to put 2000+ pounds in the bed, put 150 psi in the shocks.  My guess is you would be OK

Would they fit with a 2 inch lift?  I sure don't know.  But, they are $60 for the pair.  So IF "just in case" you go to a 2 inch lift - not much $$ to loose if you need to buy different shocks.

You could also look at how the Monroe MA828 mounts.  Uses  "Loop Bushing& Sleeve Mount - 14M"\M Sleeve ID X 1.11/16" Sleeve OAL" mounting top and bottom compared to the MA820 which uses "Loop Bushing Mount - 5/8" Bushing ID X 1.5/16" Bushing OAL", top and bottom.  The MA828 has an extra 1.5 inches of travel compared to the MA820.  Got this info from the Monroe web site.  No personal experience. 

If it were my choice, I would just buy the MA820 air shocks and call it good.  If you need to put 2000+ pounds in the bed, put 150 psi in the shocks.  My guess is you would be OK

shocks are going to be a purchase soon since they're only 60$. Can't hurt to run them for now! Thanks :D