I have an 89' Comanche and the windshield washer pump isn't working. I've tested it and there is power going to it, I replaced the pump and that still didn't do it. When the leads are open or the pump is out, when I try to spray washer fluid the wipers will go but if the pump is in or the leads are jumped, the wipers don't move at all. I believe it's a wiring issue but I'm not sure if it is or how to fix it. Any ideas?

What does it do when the pump is out (or not jumped) and you just turn on the wipers? Or tweak the washer mode on the stick?

Do you have wiring for two pumps (aka two plugs)?

The wiper circuit has no fuse, but it does have a circuit breaker.  I don't know if the breaker is throwing when you jump the wires, but it will re-set in a minute or two (more or less).  If there is power to the pump it should run.  Unless you DO have wiring for two pumps, I know I do.  then one is usable and one is likely dead. 

I had this problem on an XJ - turned out to be a broken stalk multifunction switch in the column.

Unless you DO have wiring for two pumps, I know I do.  then one is usable and one is likely dead.

How do you have wiring for two pumps?   :hmm:   I do only because I installed the late model washer tank with two pumps inside the fender well and added the extra wiring for the 2nd pump.

What does it do when the pump is out (or not jumped) and you just turn on the wipers? Or tweak the washer mode on the stick?

Do you have wiring for two pumps (aka two plugs)?

The wiper circuit has no fuse, but it does have a circuit breaker.  I don't know if the breaker is throwing when you jump the wires, but it will re-set in a minute or two (more or less).  If there is power to the pump it should run.  Unless you DO have wiring for two pumps, I know I do.  then one is usable and one is likely dead.

So when you push the washer stick forward to spray the windshield, fluid sprays and the wipers go right? When the pump is out the wipers will go on its own, it just lacks the spray. But when the pump is in, the wipers don't move when they and the spray should be going. I am 99% sure I don't have two pump sand there is current going the the plug.

I had this problem on an XJ - turned out to be a broken stalk multifunction switch in the column.

Unless you DO have wiring for two pumps, I know I do.  then one is usable and one is likely dead.

How do you have wiring for two pumps?   :hmm:   I do only because I installed the late model washer tank with two pumps inside the fender well and added the extra wiring for the 2nd pump.

So when you push the washer stick forward to spray the windshield, fluid sprays and the wipers go right? When the pump is out the wipers will go on its own, it just lacks the spray. But when the pump is in, the wipers don't move when they and the spray should be going. I am 99% sure I don't have two pump sand there is current going the the plug.

I'd have to agree with hornbrod here, there is probably a fault with the stalk switch.  Everything else is pretty simple.  Jumping the two wires in lieu of the pump being in is not something I'd be comfortable with.  Seems like you're just grounding it out...but electrics are not my strong point.

I don't know what makes me so special. :???:    I have one pump but two plugs (one plug is dead) and the brown two prong plug for the bottle level.  My fuse box has a spot for RR WASHER, but only one brass thingy in it, so a fuse not accepted there.  Mine is a Renix, y'know so the bottle and pumps etc. is right there in the engine compartment, No fender fishing.

I understand you are experiencing an electrical problem? I know this has nothing to do with electrical but...... I thought my washer pump was inop for a number of years. Turned out the hose "T" connection under the grill looking thing (don't know the correct name for it) between the hood and windshield was broken. I never would hear a "buzzing" noise from the pump when activating it. I was finally troubleshooting it one day and my Wife noticed water dripping from under the truck after repeated attempts of trying to activate the pump.

On the electrical side...if you haven't done the ground refreshing and instrument panel ground in Cruisers tips, I recommend you do so. I also recommend you look at "improving blower motor performance. Go to Cruiser54.com and read all topics.

I'd have to agree with hornbrod here, there is probably a fault with the stalk switch.  Everything else is pretty simple.  Jumping the two wires in lieu of the pump being in is not something I'd be comfortable with.  Seems like you're just grounding it out...but electrics are not my strong point.

I don't know what makes me so special. :???:    I have one pump but two plugs (one plug is dead) and the brown two prong plug for the bottle level.  My fuse box has a spot for RR WASHER, but only one brass thingy in it, so a fuse not accepted there.  Mine is a Renix, y'know so the bottle and pumps etc. is right there in the engine compartment, No fender fishing.

2 connectors on both my MJs.

The wiring harnesses for both the 2.5 and 4.0s have three plugs: 1) front window washer pump (MJ/XJ), 2) rear window washer pump (XJ only) and 3) washer fluid level indicator (XJ only).

Do you possibly have the wrong connector plugged in?  The two pump connectors are both "T" shaped.  The level indicator is flat.

The wires for the front washer pump are Violet w/trace and Blk.  

Just a thought.

Must be a Renix thing then...........

Oh, bull$#!&.

It is! HO's only have one washer pump connector. And one washer fluid level sensor connector. At least mine did.

Hey Cruiser - like my new avatar?   :rotfl2:

No....

Good. IB keepin' it then.  :thumbsup:

Seriously though, you do a hell of a job helping the guys keep their Renix fuel injection machines running as best they can. 

My '91 MJ has the connector for the washer bottle fluid level. I have it connected to an XJ bottle that's mounted on the passenger side firewall (moved it there to make room for a future booster upgrade). Don't remember seeing two pump connectors.

Since the XJ bottle has two pumps, I ran wires and a hose from the second pump to the point where the primary pump is connected. So, if the first one dies all that's necessary is to connect the wiring and hose from the second pump and it's ready to squirt. I think Don did the same with his "hidden in the fender" XJ bottle. Thought about doing the in the fender thing but the firewall mount was easier. Can't do the firewall mount on Renix models as the pressure bottle for the coolant system is mounted there, so the in the fender mod works better

Probably not the OP's issue, but last summer I was having some intermittent problems with my wipers, simply not doing anything when I turned them or tried to wash the windshield. Then as I was driving down the road I hit a bump and the wiper module hit me in the shin. It had come off its velcro or whatever holds it in place and slowly unplugged itself. Plugged it back in, stuck it back where it goes, and haven't had a problem with the wipers since. It's at least something to look at.

Probably not the OP's issue, but last summer I was having some intermittent problems with my wipers, simply not doing anything when I turned them or tried to wash the windshield. Then as I was driving down the road I hit a bump and the wiper module hit me in the shin. It had come off its velcro or whatever holds it in place and slowly unplugged itself. Plugged it back in, stuck it back where it goes, and haven't had a problem with the wipers since. It's at least something to look at.

I had to add the module in when I installed the intermittent wipers years ago and have no idea where it's supposed to be as my truck didn't have one originally. Didn't know it used Velcro either. Where is the factory location? Got a pic?

When I say I put it back to be honest I may have just tucked it up somewhere where it wouldn't land on my shins again. There's a couple things that were velcroed to the dash panel that goes under the steering column, and I haven't really been able to get any of the velcro to stick. I'll go take a pic for you though, if it is stuck somewhere. Can't guarantee the velcro is factory either.