Selectable lockers

If you had money to spend, which one would you buy at this point in time?

I want one for my rear D44.  I don't have onboard air, nor any huge desire to do so as this isn't really a wheeling rig.  But it could happen if need be.

ARB, as I see it, is the old standby.  It works, as it's a proven design.  The install kit probably still comes with crappy fittings and hoses, although maybe they finally realized they should fix that.  Plus you need air to actuate it, so more money or time working that out.  Although having air in the future would be an advantage if you chose to upgrade the front locker to the same, or if you want to refill tires, or whatever else you like doing with air.

Yukon offers the Zip Locker, which is sorta a ripoff of the ARB.  But they actually listened to the customers and produced a better product.  It also comes with new Timken carrier bearings and shims, which I don't think the ARB does.  Fittings and hoses are supposedly okay, but I'd have to do more research.  Again, you need air.  A plus to me is they have a large dealer network, and I have a guy who does very nice pricing on Yukon stuff for me.

Eaton offers the E-locker.  It's electrically actuated.  I hear good things about them, although early versions had reliability issues.  I think now the biggest downside is the price.  I don't know what is included in the kit, as far as if they give you carrier bearings and shims or not.

Then there's OX.  I don't know how big their dealer network is, it seems small, I can't get anywhere with that.  However, it's considered to be a pretty damn strong and simple design.  It was intended to be cable actuated, which is a complete no go in my climatic conditions, however I believe they offer both an electric or air actuator option for it.  Also not sure what's included, if there is carrier bearings or shims.  My biggest issue here is pricing just seems high once you go away from cable actuation.

Did I miss any others?

Can't speak for DirtyComanche, but my guess is that cable actuation is a no go in BC, Canada due to the potential for freezing up and inability to engage/disengage. I had the parking brake cables on my '05 Silverado freeze up twice down here in Alabama. Truck didn't move quite as well with the rear brakes locked.

Cables freeze or rust solid in this area...  Road salt, water, dirt, massive temperature swings.  The last thing you want is to need you locker and not be able to actuate it because there's a pile of ice jamming the cable.

I have a Lokka (Aussie) in the front right now.  I'd recommend you price it from Lokka before you buy it from Aussie.  Lokka makes the Aussie Locker, it's the same thing, just there is a US company that sells it as the Aussie Locker because originally Lokka did not distribute internationally.

How did that double post with his post in the middle? I'll figure this internet thing out eventually, maybe.

It happens, somebody will fix that for you.

But yes, frozen (or rusted) cables are the issue. You can't cable actuate anything up here and expect it to always work, even worse if it's seldom used.

Aussie doesn't make Lokka lockers. I even saw reps from both companies say that too.

I have a Yukon zip locker in my 44 front. It does awesome without any problems. I'm building up another 44 front with Arb locker for the MJ.

If I had to choose from your list, ill go with eaton because it's simpler.

Aussie doesn't make Lokka lockers. I even saw reps from both companies say that too.

Other way around. Lokka is the manufacturer, always has been, always will be.

From Lokka:

LOKKA has been manufactured in Australia since the late 1990’s and has been sold globally under its own brand name or re-branded for local resellers.

From 2003 to 2012 it was best known in North America under the brand name Aussie Locker™*

The Aussie Locker™ model listing was only a small subset of the total number of products that were available.

http://lokka.com/site/faq

Aussie reps hate to admit it because they are upcharging you for the same product, well, they put it in a box that looks exactly the same but says Aussie Locker on it...

I've had an OX in the rear of my CJ7 since 2007.  A Detroit up front (with manual hubs) means I can be completely unlocked on the street and completely locked on the trail.  I paid a shop to install it.  I do axle work, but in this case work had me pretty busy and paying someone to do the work kept the project on schedule.  About 2 years later I started having problems with the shifter.  Turns out the installer never had it right, and had actually left out a spring.  I called OX and they were very helpful, although I do think I ended up paying for it (don't remember). No problems since then.  The cable is rubber sheathed.  The inner cable isn't exposed on the end like a parking brake cable is.  I've done some snow wheeling and never had a problem with it freezing up.

Keep in mind you get a super beefy diff cover with the deal.  I ended up with a $100 gift cert for OX from somewhere and bought a cover for my front axle as well.  

ARB is built great. But almost every off-road ride I go on, trucks / jeeps with ARBs have problems. It's NEVER the actual locker, its always been the supporting infrastructure required to engage the locker in the axle.  Electrical, fuses, compressor, air leaks, ripped hoses, and so on. just too many fail points. I don't recommend it. 

I liked the idea of the OX. Simple cable. However, after talking to some guys, apparently these have issues too. On one ride I was on, the cable was not adjusted right, and he could not enable the locker. (Yea, he could have pulled out tools and fixed it, but he would have held up the trail run)

E-Locker, seems to be the best selectable locker out right now. Simple, less stuff to fail. Can be jumper-ed if needed. Issues I have had, takes a few tire rotations to disengage. Other then that, it's worked every time. 

Other way around. Lokka is the manufacturer, always has been, always will be.

From Lokka:

LOKKA has been manufactured in Australia since the late 1990’s and has been sold globally under its own brand name or re-branded for local resellers.

From 2003 to 2012 it was best known in North America under the brand name Aussie Locker™*

The Aussie Locker™ model listing was only a small subset of the total number of products that were available.

http://lokka.com/site/faq

Aussie reps hate to admit it because they are upcharging you for the same product, well, they put it in a box that looks exactly the same but says Aussie Locker on it...

That is totally untrue.

Read this.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1134861

ARB is built great. But almost every off-road ride I go on, trucks / jeeps with ARBs have problems. It's NEVER the actual locker, its always been the supporting infrastructure required to engage the locker in the axle.  Electrical, fuses, compressor, air leaks, ripped hoses, and so on. just too many fail points. I don't recommend it. 

I liked the idea of the OX. Simple cable. However, after talking to some guys, apparently these have issues too. On one ride I was on, the cable was not adjusted right, and he could not enable the locker. (Yea, he could have pulled out tools and fixed it, but he would have held up the trail run)

E-Locker, seems to be the best selectable locker out right now. Simple, less stuff to fail. Can be jumper-ed if needed. Issues I have had, takes a few tire rotations to disengage. Other then that, it's worked every time. 

I've had the same experience.  Many trail runs and seeing ARBs with various issues daking mentions.  This was my main reason for going with the OX.  Once I had my shifter set up right, it's been fail proof.  

I live in Alberta, I would still go with the cable actuated OX Locker. As long as it's sealed both ends, I don't think it would be a problem. Put some graphite in there to keep it lubricated if needed.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

Do you use it much in the winter?

I'd honestly rather not install a cable also, comparitively the elocker definitely wins in the ease of installation aspect.  But I'm guessing it isn't too bad.  Do you have pictures of your install?

Edit, realized you said "I would go with" not "I went with" - sometimes I skim and miss things.

How about a lunchbox locker in the rear? 

Works great in Arizona, pretty much guaranteed death this far north.  I'd run a spool over a lunchbox/autolocker in the rear, at least I know the spool is always trying to kill me and is doing so in a predictable manner.  I actually used to run a front spool on the road on my old MJ, again, it was nowhere near as haywire as a front lunchbox locker because the spool is always doing the same thing.

I originally just wanted a Truetrac, but I have no contacts that get good pricing on Eaton stuff.  So I'm at about $900 frozen pesos for a Truetrac, and $1200 for an Elocker, I'd rather spend the extra for a real locker given that.

I'm getting my guy to quote me on a Zip locker, and I'm going to go measure for a Viair setup in a bit...  Might start a seperate thread to see what people have for non-A/C pump OBA setups.  I think he will probably come in at about $700 US for the Zip, which still leaves some room to buy an OBA setup and be at the same price as the elocker.

Frozen air lines do concern me.  At work we have a couple poorly fitted fuel trucks with air over hydraulic brakes, and they freeze up all the time.  Great fun.

As for an onboard air system:

https://www.amazon.com/ARB-CKMTA12-Board-Performance-Compressor/dp/B0050DI9YQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1480827011&sr=8-1&keywords=ckmta12

I've got this in my CJ7.  My CJ7 has been down for over a year for an engine swap so I don't remember the exact numbers, but it fills a 5 gallon air tank to about 125 psi in under 4 minutes.

I have the parts on hand for a York OBA, but the performance of this thing ended those plans.

There may be better prices out there, I haven't looked around.  

As for an onboard air system:

https://www.amazon.com/ARB-CKMTA12-Board-Performance-Compressor/dp/B0050DI9YQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1480827011&sr=8-1&keywords=ckmta12

I've got this in my CJ7.  My CJ7 has been down for over a year for an engine swap so I don't remember the exact numbers, but it fills a 5 gallon air tank to about 125 psi in under 4 minutes.

I have the parts on hand for a York OBA, but the performance of this thing ended those plans.

There may be better prices out there, I haven't looked around.  

It's kinda out of the price I wanted to spend on this.  It was recommended to me by another person though.

I can get a low thrills Viair kit for about $300 cnd, which should have no issues filling my little tires or running a locker, so that's pretty much what I'm looking at.

Works great in Arizona, pretty much guaranteed death this far north.  I'd run a spool over a lunchbox/autolocker in the rear, at least I know the spool is always trying to kill me and is doing so in a predictable manner.  I actually used to run a front spool on the road on my old MJ, again, it was nowhere near as haywire as a front lunchbox locker because the spool is always doing the same thing.

I originally just wanted a Truetrac, but I have no contacts that get good pricing on Eaton stuff.  So I'm at about $900 frozen pesos for a Truetrac, and $1200 for an Elocker, I'd rather spend the extra for a real locker given that.

I'm getting my guy to quote me on a Zip locker, and I'm going to go measure for a Viair setup in a bit...  Might start a seperate thread to see what people have for non-A/C pump OBA setups.  I think he will probably come in at about $700 US for the Zip, which still leaves some room to buy an OBA setup and be at the same price as the elocker.

Frozen air lines do concern me.  At work we have a couple poorly fitted fuel trucks with air over hydraulic brakes, and they freeze up all the time.  Great fun.

I had a LockRite in my SBC powered Land Cruiser FJ40 and had no trouble in the snow. Rear only.

I'm gonna get an Aussie for my camo MJ soon. I'm suspecting the Aussie will perform as well or better than the LockRite.

I'm at over 5000 foot elevation.....

I've had Detroit lockers, Aussie lockers, ARB with full York driven OBA set-up, and Zip lockers with a small under-hood tankless compressor.  Here are my thoughts:

• Air lockers are VERY susceptible to not working right.  Like was said above, air lines can leak, solenoids can stop working, relays can lose a good ground, wires corrode, compressors crap out, switches break etc.
  • When air lockers work properly, they are fantastic!!!!! 
  • Full OBA set-ups are totally not needed to actuate air lockers.  Small tank-less compressors work great and are easy to install.  
  • Detroit lockers are freaking awesome!  Cheaper than air lockers, easy to install, no fuss, decent dry road manners and phenomenal off-road traction. I don't really like having the front locked full time though ... it makes turning hard while wheeling.  Pretty sketchy on slick roads though.  If that thing unloads in rain or snow, good chance you go into a spin.
  • Lunchbox lockers - mostly the same pros/cons as Detroit, but cheaper  .... not a full case locker though, so less strength than a Detroit and won't stand up to abuse of big tires or big power.  Love these little things though.
  • ARB and Yukon air lockers are very similar.  I have Yukon right now cause the dealer close to me gets great prices and any warranty issues can go through him.  I like that.

A properly installed and maintained air locker is probably the best all-around set-up.  You just have to be diligent in maintaining it.  More than likely you WILL have issues to work out after the initial install, but once it's all dialed in, you'll be thrilled. 

Works great in Arizona, pretty much guaranteed death this far north. I'd run a spool over a lunchbox/autolocker in the rear, at least I know the spool is always trying to kill me and is doing so in a predictable manner. I actually used to run a front spool on the road on my old MJ, again, it was nowhere near as haywire as a front lunchbox locker because the spool is always doing the same thing.

I originally just wanted a Truetrac, but I have no contacts that get good pricing on Eaton stuff. So I'm at about $900 frozen pesos for a Truetrac, and $1200 for an Elocker, I'd rather spend the extra for a real locker given that.

I'm getting my guy to quote me on a Zip locker, and I'm going to go measure for a Viair setup in a bit... Might start a seperate thread to see what people have for non-A/C pump OBA setups. I think he will probably come in at about $700 US for the Zip, which still leaves some room to buy an OBA setup and be at the same price as the elocker.

Frozen air lines do concern me. At work we have a couple poorly fitted fuel trucks with air over hydraulic brakes, and they freeze up all the time. Great fun.

I had a LockRite in my SBC powered Land Cruiser FJ40 and had no trouble in the snow. Rear only.

I'm gonna get an Aussie for my camo MJ soon. I'm suspecting the Aussie will perform as well or better than the LockRite.

I don't have auto locker experience in any of my vehicles yet, but my sister in law has a lock rite in her Chevy Tracker, it drives great on road in the snow and ice, you hardly know it's there.

Works great in Arizona, pretty much guaranteed death this far north. I'd run a spool over a lunchbox/autolocker in the rear, at least I know the spool is always trying to kill me and is doing so in a predictable manner. I actually used to run a front spool on the road on my old MJ, again, it was nowhere near as haywire as a front lunchbox locker because the spool is always doing the same thing.

I originally just wanted a Truetrac, but I have no contacts that get good pricing on Eaton stuff. So I'm at about $900 frozen pesos for a Truetrac, and $1200 for an Elocker, I'd rather spend the extra for a real locker given that.

I'm getting my guy to quote me on a Zip locker, and I'm going to go measure for a Viair setup in a bit... Might start a seperate thread to see what people have for non-A/C pump OBA setups. I think he will probably come in at about $700 US for the Zip, which still leaves some room to buy an OBA setup and be at the same price as the elocker.

Frozen air lines do concern me. At work we have a couple poorly fitted fuel trucks with air over hydraulic brakes, and they freeze up all the time. Great fun.

I don't have auto locker experience in any of my vehicles yet, but my sister in law has a lock rite in her Chevy Tracker, it drives great on road in the snow and ice, you hardly know it's there.

Yup.