i say no way 86 is made by AMC 89 is made by Chrysler they may have both been made at the exact same factory but the engineer that designed your vehicle is not the same one that designed the 86 vehicle your better off upgrading that 86 to a 3.4 or a 4.0 

Don't buy a MJ to tear driveline parts out of for another MJ.  It's a waste.  Buy an XJ Cherokee...  And as said, there was major changes in 87, and GM 60* pattern 2.8L stuff is very different from the Jeep pattern 4L stuff.

The simplest solution for you would be to find an 87-90 XJ with a 4L/Auto and steal the transmission, tcase, front axle, front driveshaft, shifter linkage, and all the other little bits out of.  You will need to get your rear driveshaft cut down and balanced, or a new one made.

The bonus of getting the XJ is it may have other parts you want, such as bucket seats, center console, better instrument cluster, tilt column, tow hooks, etc, depending on how it is optioned.

Don't buy a MJ to tear driveline parts out of for another MJ.  It's a waste.  Buy an XJ Cherokee...  And as said, there was major changes in 87, and GM 60* pattern 2.8L stuff is very different from the Jeep pattern 4L stuff.

The simplest solution for you would be to find an 87-90 XJ with a 4L/Auto and steal the transmission, tcase, front axle, front driveshaft, shifter linkage, and all the other little bits out of.  You will need to get your rear driveshaft cut down and balanced, or a new one made.

The bonus of getting the XJ is it may have other parts you want, such as bucket seats, center console, better instrument cluster, tilt column, tow hooks, etc, depending on how it is optioned.

^^^^^^^^^^. This

I just bought a rusted out 92 XJ Laredo to use as a donor for my 91 Hunter green pioneer conversion to 4x4. I am going to be Using the following parts for the conversion.

Front HP D30

AW-4 trans

NP-231 transfer case

Front driveshaft

Bucket seats ( mint)

Full console with floor shifters

Tilt steering column

Door panels

Dash shell

Full gauges

Windshield

Front bumper

Header panel

Headlight bezels

Grill

And anything else I end up needing. I am also pulling the Chrysler 8.25 rear diff to have as a spare for my other XJ. The engine runs good but I already have a complete 95 HO sitting in the shop as a spare. I may put it on craigslist cheap. I will also rob the hood and front doors for spares then scrap the thing. I think I did pretty good for 600.00 total.

Donor XJ......good idea....