Windshield

So I'm pretty upset... went out to the truck this morning and found a crack about a foot long in my windshield, which is not that big of a deal normally, but mine was a chrysler original. That being said how hard would it be to buy a new chrysler windshield, and would one from a cherokee fit? I know the roofline is different but idk if that would affect the windshield opening?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

So I'm pretty upset... went out to the truck this morning and found a crack about a foot long in my windshield, which is not that big of a deal normally, but mine was a chrysler original. That being said how hard would it be to buy a new chrysler windshield, and would one from a cherokee fit? I know the roofline is different but idk if that would affect the windshield opening?

The original MJ/XJ Chrysler windshields (55000553, 55134793, 55154994AB tint differences) are obsolete parts and NLA. 

Have you ever removed a windshield? It's not the easiest thing to do. I've had to replace a few at work, and we never managed to pull one without breaking it.

My insurance will cover a windshield replacement. I make an appointment at a shop, the shop handles the claim, I only pay my $200 deductible. Of course replacing windshields costs more up here in the great white north, but it would be something to look into.

I personally would prefer to have a new piece of glass than one that's already seen a bunch of miles.

Yeah ive never removed one before... i sort of figured that it would probably be a little more mechanically advanced than I am

Mechanically, it's not "advanced." It's just that it's glued in, and very difficult to cut out an old one without breaking it. It's also adding a degree of difficulty because, even if you get a used one out intact, if you don't get the mating surface absolutely clean, it will leak after you install it.

I have tried to remove windshields from cars at the Pick N Pull about 4 times.  Each time it ended with a cracked or broken windshield.  The last time I paid a glass shop $50 or $60 to come out to the junk yard and remove the windshield.  They got the glass out with no damage.  Just took 2 guys about half an hour.  But they had done it a hundred times.

My suggestion is to just pay and get it done correctly when you find a good, NLA factory windshield.  It is really the only way you are going to get a factory original windshield.

Have done it several times.  Last time was for the previous MJ.  

Used a couple of brand new razor knifes and a pair of gloves bought at Wal-Mart on the way.

Paid $40 for the windshield and $80 have it installed by a local guy. 

It can be done if you take your time and are patient.  Two people helps.

Unfortunately for me with the Jeep stuff am on-my-own about 99% of the time and have just gotten in the habit of figuring it out. 

• 9 months later...

My local windshield shop has a windshield for a 1990-1992 Jeep Comanche, mine is 1986.  Will that fit?

thanks

Yes.  It's the same windshield for all 7 yrs of the MJ.  Also, for the XJ from 84 to (at least) 96.

I paid 140 for my windshield. The guy came out and took the old one out. For me that help bc I was removing the dash and you will find this hard to believe but when you don't have a windshield in place it is easy to get the dash in and out. After I was done he came back and installed it. To me I rather have it done right and then fight it over and over again.