floor pan replacement

so I'm getting ready to replace the floor pan and have a few questions, but first here's what I'm up against.  the PO obviously cut the original floor out, but replaced it with a piece of aluminium diamond plate that was riveted to two pieces of angle iron that were welded to either side of the opening. you can see the inner one in the pic. then he siliconed all the gaps in an attempt to seal it up. the aluminium wasnt bent to fit the original contour of the floor and sat about 2 inches higher the the "frame channel"  here's a few pics

diamond plate removed. replacement pan

as you can see, he also cut off the top of the "frame channel" and here's where my questions are. should i try to source a replacement for this or build my own? and since the pan lays over it, do i need to spot weld it to the channel on top? or will it be ok if i just weld the bottom side of the pan to it?

I boxed the frame rail and then welded the floor pan on top of everything. I purchased the floor pans and rocker panels from CRC.

If I had to do it all over again I would not purchase the long floor pan, since the Comanche frame is at a slight angle. It’s better to have two pieces instead of beating the crap out of the long floor pan trying to make it fit right.

I lost two of the bolts on the passenger side so I made the following piece to secure the bench seat:

https://1drv.ms/i/s!AnuQyEEIeeF8iS7Hw8tICjyfWy1g

https://1drv.ms/i/s!AnuQyEEIeeF8iTdPo8s-XKShk196

Good Luck!!

awesome thank you much. what gauge material did you use to box in the top of the channel?

I'm not planning on using the entire replacement pan as the rear section is still in good shape and as for seat mounts, I'm going to be building a cage and will be tying them into that

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

as you can see, he also cut off the top of the "frame channel" and here's where my questions are. should i try to source a replacement for this or build my own? and since the pan lays over it, do i need to spot weld it to the channel on top? or will it be ok if i just weld the bottom side of the pan to it?

I don't see any indication that the top of the frame channel has been cut.

i should have said the cap on the floor pan, not the top of the channel

I wondered if that's what you were referring to. You could try making your own, but it's tapered so it'll be a lot of work. XJs never had that piece, so if your MJ is going to be just a daily driver and not hauling heavy loads or getting all twisted up off-road, you may not need it.

when I redid my floor I omitted that upper brace, 2 years strong with hauling multiple heavy loads and not one ounce of issue here. if you want to replace it though, the flanges are roughly 6" apart, id get a piece of 1/8" by 6" and weld it in flush.