STEERING COLUMN SWAP

So which one do you want where, and why? The shifter is part of the column, so it'll just be hanging out doing nothing going into the four-banger. If you put the non-column shift into the automatic, you'll have to source and put in a floor shifter, or figure something else out cause you'll loose the shifter.

I'm ASSuming he wants to switch the columns between the two trucks for some reason.

You'll obviously need a way to shift the auto truck's transmission. Adding the OEM floor shifter is pretty easy as long as the hole for the floor shifter cable has been already drilled in the firewall. Mine already had the hole for it and they all should, but some people have said their trucks didn't. The auto column will go into the manual truck with no problems, but obviously the shifter hardware will just dangle around, and you'll have to make sure it stays in the "park" position so the ignition cylinder will unlock. Dunno if the manual column has the mechanism for the auto trans park lock cable but I doubt it, but that can be left out if desired. Otherwise it's a bolt in swap. As long as both are on the same side of the Renix-HO year split (and possibly even if they aren't, I don't know firsthand) the ignition cylinders can be swapped around so you can use the same key as before. So basically what gogmorgo said, just with more words.

No idea what you're trying to do here...

On an unrelated product that uses a GM column, when I auto to manual swapped it I just took the shift lever off and wired the linkage on the other side of the firewall so it wouldn't move.  It was ghetto.  That truck is what I use to plow my driveway, so it's totally reasonable for it.  Don't do that unless you're okay with ghetto.

I'd go to the boneyard and find the correct column.  They aren't too expensive at this point given that there's millions of early XJs out there.

Thanks for all the help. Wasn't thinking when I started this. What I'm doing is swapping complete interior. So now I'm thinking of just painting the column to match the swap. Should have figured that out first.