random power loss

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes I have done that about 6 months ago

Changed cap rotor plugs and wires today with brand new ones. The contact pad on the rotor was twisted like. Almost like it bit on the cap pin and rolled over. So I'll report back once I drive it tomorrow. Side note what plugs are you guys running I had champions but I was told to throw them away and use autolites or bosch ones

The plugs I put in when I was working on my issue are AC Delco copper plugs. I went basic. Previous plugs were Autolite double platinum. Not being a big expert and just daily driving my truck (not racing, rock climbing, etc.), not sure if there is a whole lot of difference.

I like NGK coppers but am currently running Champions (the cheap ones) because I couldn't find the NGK's locally. I don't really care much for the idea of paying $10 per plug, and I'm not sold on the tiny little needle of an electrode the fancy ones have.

thanks cruiser. i feel really dumb in hindsight being i was asked if it was a vac leak in the beginning.  but i never expected it to be in the little distribution block on the intake.  

We're all guilty of that at some point. 

Start with the simple stuff....

Ok so I tested the fuel pump. Tuning the key on it jumps (can't tell being a one man team) tp around 30-40 area. But it will drop off in a second or two. at idle it's around 32 psi. With the vacuum off it jumps to 40 psi Now with the vacuum on and getting it to do the power loss the psi up near 40. So my fuel pump doesn't seem to be the problem

Ok so my dad started to help me out. I guess he felt bad for me lol. But we disconnected the vacuum hose to the egr and it runs fine hot no problems at all. For some reason the egr opens up a little at low rpms when its at operating temp. So has anyone even had a egr solenoid go bad ?

Ok so my dad started to help me out. I guess he felt bad for me lol. But we disconnected the vacuum hose to the egr and it runs fine hot no problems at all. For some reason the egr opens up a little at low rpms when its at operating temp. So has anyone even had a egr solenoid go bad ?

Not common. It shouldn't open unless the ECU triggers it. 

Should be easy enough to check. Perhaps it's not closing completely when it's not energized. 

I don't think so. The egr isn't open all the time so I doubt the solenoid is letting it through. But that being said what tells the ecu to to tell the solenoid to open. Because it I keep it closed the truck is fine ( at operating temp that is)

ECU tells the solenoid to open. but if it sticks open.....