Trailer wiring harness

Splice it in yourself.  There are several good articles in this forum and one of them tells you which wire colors to match an after market harness to the original wiring.  i recommend either soldering or using Raytheon environmental splices instead of the normal butt splices.  Easy job. 

• 7 months later...

if you can find a spare plug (both male and female ends) you can make your own plug in connector.

This is the best way to go, IMHO.

Also, are you looking for a flat, 4-wire connector, or a round, 7-wire connector?

if you can find a spare plug (both male and female ends) you can make your own plug in connector.

This is the best way to go, IMHO.

Also, are you looking for a flat, 4-wire connector, or a round, 7-wire connector?

This is the route I went, and it got me to wondering if the connector in question is used on any other vehicles.  Perhaps Dakotas of the same year?  I haven't checked yet, but it would be nice if we could confirm a more easily available source than junked Comanches.  I've got pictures of the male/female connectors somewhere on my computer...

Next time I do the trailer harness thing, I will get a full 7 wire set up with a brake controller.  I have an adapter plug that goes from 7 wire to 4 wire in the glove box. But it does me no good because I only have a 4 wire connector on the Comanche.

So my advice is to do a 7 wire and a 4 wire connection at the same time. Yes a bit more expensive.  But I like the idea of electric brakes on anything I tow.  Last summer, I towed a 1986 Comanche on a U haul dolly from Victoria, B.C to Northern Michangan with my 1991 Comanche.  About 2400 miles from sea level to over 8000 feet of the Rocky Mountains.  After that, you appreciate good brakes.

My MJ has the GM weatherpack style plug, I'm considering finding another piece of harness or buying pigtails to 'tee' into the circuit for trailer wiring. Would make removing or changing it a cleaner install.

Next time I do the trailer harness thing, I will get a full 7 wire set up with a brake controller.  I have an adapter plug that goes from 7 wire to 4 wire in the glove box. But it does me no good because I only have a 4 wire connector on the Comanche.

So my advice is to do a 7 wire and a 4 wire connection at the same time. Yes a bit more expensive.  But I like the idea of electric brakes on anything I tow.  Last summer, I towed a 1986 Comanche on a U haul dolly from Victoria, B.C to Northern Michangan with my 1991 Comanche.  About 2400 miles from sea level to over 8000 feet of the Rocky Mountains.  After that, you appreciate good brakes.

I went this route on the wife's durango -- picked up a unit at the store that had both wired together -- only need to plug into the taillight set up