Ball joint gap

Hey guys. Putting together the 94 XJ axle I'm building for my MJ and I was kind of concerned with this gap the upper balljoint has.yL8SWXb.jpg

Should I worry? I read up a little and apparently the gap is filled when you grease it. Just didn't have this with my Driveworks joints I put on my other MJ. Wanted to check with ya'll before I went further. Everything is torqued up and the cotter pins lined up perfectly. 1tfEb3R.jpg

As long as the axle tube and the hole for the wheel bearing are concentric you should be good. If they're far enough out to cause a problem, you'll likely have trouble getting the axle shaft in properly.

The upper ball joint does have some vertical movement to it, so the gap allows it to move as needed. Why it needs movement I'm not sure. The lower ball joint keeps everything fixed in place... Maybe it's to account for casting differences in the C? Allowing for minor flexing in the C without binding the steering when you go over bumps?

As long as the axle tube and the hole for the wheel bearing are concentric you should be good. If they're far enough out to cause a problem, you'll likely have trouble getting the axle shaft in properly.

The upper ball joint does have some vertical movement to it, so the gap allows it to move as needed. Why it needs movement I'm not sure. The lower ball joint keeps everything fixed in place... Maybe it's to account for casting differences in the C? Allowing for minor flexing in the C without binding the steering when you go over bumps?

This is why the upper ball joint on the D30 is a sliding pin and not a true ball joint. It allows for a variance on casting flaw. The lower is the only true ball joint on a D30. IIRC the upper has almost an inch of travel allowance.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk