'89 4.0 Renix Valve Train Noise When Starting?

Engines make a varnish that can make lifters 'sticky'. I use Marvel Mystery oil in the winter oil change, to clean it out. This stuff works! Use a full quart, Run it for at least 1,000 miles to clean out older motors. Especially necessary after any incidence of over heating, as that causes heavy varnish in the motor, especially the top end.

Well, hopefully Archaeor got something out of this besides I've been using the wrong oil filters for 28 years.

Fram has gotten worse and worse.

The anti-drainback issue is the biggest deal. If a filter were mounted like the good old days, it wouldn't be so critical. 

Do you know how much oil pressure it's making? Not necessarily relevant since that's probably exactly why it's making the awful noise - it just doesn't send pressurized oil to the valvetrain right away, but as long as it goes away once oil reaches the valvetrain the noise isn't indicative of anything severely wrong with the engine. If you want to try dumping stuff in the oil, quite few people here swear by Marvel Mystery Oil (hint: it's red because it has ATF in it, which is a good cleaner as well as a good lubricant) for cleaning the engine out. It might clean some crud out of the lifters and make the noise go away, you never know. I ran a quart in my '91 for an oil change interval and didn't really notice any difference, but several people here whose opinions carry much more authority than mine like it.

The '91 used to have an awful tick for the first couple of seconds after startup, but at some point during my ownership I noticed it just stopped doing it, and I don't remember when it stopped. Probably a combination of using better oil filters (and knowing of the dangers of cheap ones such as Fram), running synthetic oil, and all of the parts (including the oil pump) that I've replaced along the line. With that said, as long as it goes away consistently, and you have good oil pressure after startup, I wouldn't lose sleep over it. Just keep in mind that the 4.0 isn't the most refined engine in the world and there's a lot of stone age technology in it.

That turned out way longer than i thought it would, woops

I've got the same problem, curious if there is a fix or is it nothing to worry about?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What brand oil filter do you use?

I'm on vacation so I can't check right now, but I'll take a look when I get home. I need to do an oil change anyway. Thanks!

Ok I checked it this weekend and the current oil filter is Driveworks. Appears to be an Advance Auto budget brand. I just ordered a Wix filter so I'll give that a shot and report back with the results.

Well I changed the oil a few days ago using a Wix filter and Mobile 1 10w-30 synthetic oil and it hasn't resolved the issue yet. Guess I'll wait a little while longer then try MMO. But my engine has 172k miles on it so...I might just have to live with it for now.

If you like you can try somthing that I have done many times on multiple jeeps with good results...next time you change your oil....drain it....put the plug back in and pour in 5 liters of diesel.... Run it up to temp and drain (you can do it more than once if it is in the budget)...then top it up with oil and a new filter...

Nothing beats a good wash

I also just did this on a YJ AX5 with angry syncros...and it turned the growl to a purr....

Have you tried shutting it off and restarting after 20 seconds or so?

I did try that tonight and it didn't happen after 20 secs. Right now it's only happening on a cold start. If the engine is warm it doesn't occur.

I drained the oil and added a quart of MMO with fresh oil tonight so hopefully that eventually cures it. I'm just gonna give it time now.

If you like you can try somthing that I have done many times on multiple jeeps with good results...next time you change your oil....drain it....put the plug back in and pour in 5 liters of diesel.... Run it up to temp and drain (you can do it more than once if it is in the budget)...then top it up with oil and a new filter...

Nothing beats a good wash

I also just did this on a YJ AX5 with angry syncros...and it turned the growl to a purr....

Diesel fuel? Interesting! Well, if the MMO doesn't do anything after awhile maybe ill give this a shot. Thanks!

I don't suggest running your engine with just diesel in it. The chance of collapsing a lifter or spinning a bearing are not worth the "cleaning".

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Agreed. Rotella T3 with MMO works well and rather fast.