BA 10/5 bearing squeal

Ok, so my BA 10/5 has been starting to act up.

Not in any kind of function way, it still shift perfectly other than the occasional cold condition reverse lockout in the driveway. Shifting into second aligns everything and were good. But that's typical of my experience with most 5spds. Otherwise for a supposedly turdly trans she works beautifully.

The issue I am concerned about is a bearing squeal that has been happening lately.

It only happens when moving, only when under a load (towing or heavy acceleration - getting jiggy wid it), and happens in all gears with 4th and 5th being the most apparent. Whether this is because with 3.73's and 35's, I generally spend the whole day in 4th and 5th, and just quickly row through 1st, 2nd, and 3rd I haven't really noticed (but is quite likely). But, it does happen in all gears.

The sound is what I would say sounds like listening to someone use a metal lathe but is just one single pitch, very high frequency squeal. It does change in pitch depending on how much gas pedal I apply, going away if I accelerate enough to reduce the load (as in not near lugging).

So based on that, how bad is it? Input bearing? Output bearing? Or something more internal and not a simple fix.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

sounds like one of those bearing either input or output. I am thinking since it is only when your in higher gears your noticing it, it is your input. Like above said how the level in your trans?

I ran 31s with the BA10/5 for 217k and the 3.07. Nothing ever went wrong with it, just acquired a AX15 at 217K when I needed to do the clutch setup all over again. So it lasted good for me, even know is has a bad rap...

My BA10 used to get a high pitched whine in lower gears when I would rev it up to 2500 - 3000 RPMs.   This only occurred in 1st and 2nd while accelerating.  

Since the upper gears never (very seldom) rev'ed that high, I never heard it when driving.

I figured it was a set of bearings going bad, not the throwout bearing.

This was just another reason to swap to an AX15.

Wouldn't the throwout bearing only be doing something when you've got the clutch pedal pushed in?

The throwout bearing rides on the bearing retainer, and inside the pressure plate diaphragm ... So it is actually spinning up until you press the clutch pedal. At which point it would stop spinning.

Either way, an AX15 will eventually be swapped in, just trying to get a time line on how long or catastrophic a failure is coming.

• 4 weeks later...

So now I'm beginning to think this a vacuum whistle. I can hear my brake booster leak out when I shut the engine off.

If I'm cruising along I can vary the pitch of the squeal with the gas pedal (with no increase in rpm or speed).

Any merit?