Jeep running like poo

Have you tested the CPS output per this?

http://cruiser54.com/?p=50

No sir, I have not. I will do that in the morning for sure. I was wondering about the distance from flywheel measurement, and whether having the 89 CPS in the 98 bell housing might somehow increase the distance from the flywheel. I'm going to slot those holes tomorrow also, just to make sure I get a good signal. Thanks for the advice, I will report back with my results.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

Good plan. Keep us in the loop.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whatever. Are we here to help people or get into a pissing contest? Egocentric bull$#!& or contributing to the community?

Sorry you got butthurt cruiser54, but the OP of this thread was Jackrabbit41 in case you didn't notice.

But whatever (sic) or whoever, listen to cruiser54. He will lead you down the straight path. Nobody's better fixing Renix problems.  :)

desbennett004, could you provide the p/n of the flywheel you purchased?

Damn, I didn't know me barging in with my HO would cause such a $#!&storm  :oops:

No worries. 

Being on 4 forums, moderator on one, and maintaining my own website spreads me a bit thin. Coming up with new write-ups and prioritizing them is an ongoing project. How about documenting steps and procedures and making photo comparisons.  Not to mention working a full time job, parting out Jeeps, flipping Jeeps, and babysitting small granddaughters. Little bitty details are hard to keep up with. Forgive me if I can't keep up with every intricate detail. I do my best to help the Jeep community as far as Renix stuff. Perceived $#!&storm or no, please forgive me if I can't keep up with each and every person and their intimate details. 

Take from it what you wish. 

Whatever. Are we here to help people or get into a pissing contest? Egocentric bull$#!& or contributing to the community?

Sorry you got butthurt cruiser54, but the OP of this thread was Jackrabbit41 in case you didn't notice.

But whatever (sic) or whoever, listen to cruiser54. He will lead you down the straight path. Nobody's better fixing Renix problems. :)

desbennett004, could you provide the p/n of the flywheel you purchased?

The flywheel I bought is LUK LFW194. It's good for 87 to 90 Jeeps apparently.

Have you tested the CPS output per this?

http://cruiser54.com/?p=50

No sir, I have not. I will do that in the morning for sure. I was wondering about the distance from flywheel measurement, and whether having the 89 CPS in the 98 bell housing might somehow increase the distance from the flywheel. I'm going to slot those holes tomorrow also, just to make sure I get a good signal. Thanks for the advice, I will report back with my results.

The 89 and 98 should be exactly the same. Starter and starter ring are the same........diameter of flywheel and location of CPS on bell should not have changed. 

They don't change, but I have been told the voids and the teeth that the CPS is different between the Renix and the HO. Can't confirm that myself, but in any case, I bought the flywheel for the truck, not for the transmission year.

You SHOULD be good.

Easy enough to check. Renix has multiple voids in the tone ring with some being bigger than others.

HO has voids and then solid areas. This can easily be viewed by removing the inspection plate on the bell housing.

Still, test the CPS. I had a real weird issue on the MJ I just bought. 

if it starts it`s not the fywheel, leave it alone

drievability problems usually track to a bad MAP sensor... Or a vacuum leak, even a small leak can make the engine miss and backfire

Thanks for the info, I haven't got to work on it today, I will add that to the list of things to check. Hopefully tomorrow.

I may be thinking from the other end, but...

Have check your cat?  When you swapped trans, you may have knocked something loose in the cat causing a blockage in the exhaust.

That may explain why it idles fine, but runs bad.

My $0.02.

Have check your cat? When you swapped trans, you may have knocked something loose in the cat causing a blockage in the exhaust.

My $0.02.

Would be a great idea, but my exhaust currently ends at the transmission mount. No cat, no muffler, nothing. I bought it like that, and since I haven't driven it yet, I haven't got to putting a system on it. The list is getting smaller, so it's coming...

Have check your cat? When you swapped trans, you may have knocked something loose in the cat causing a blockage in the exhaust.

My $0.02.

Would be a great idea, but my exhaust currently ends at the transmission mount. No cat, no muffler, nothing. I bought it like that, and since I haven't driven it yet, I haven't got to putting a system on it. The list is getting smaller, so it's coming...

Well, that answers my question.  Just a thought.

I am following along to to hear what the problem is.

My $0.02.

Well, that answers my question. Just a thought.

I am following along to to hear what the problem is.

My wife promised me I can have time to work on it this afternoon, so hopefully we will have it figured out today.

I got it fixed Gents. Checked my fuel pressure, it's running between 31 and 39 psi. Checked my MAP sensor, it stalled out when disconnected electrically, and effected the idle when the vac line was disconnected. So that's all good. Checked the voltage on the CPS, it was good. So I slotted out the holes on the CPS bracket and reinstalled, making sure I had it pushed down as far as possible when tightening the bolts. Fired up great, and it revs up with no stutters or backfiring or anything.