external fuel pump

one reason is they are easier to deal with and you don't have to fight with trying to get the things in and out of the tanks. I have always thought that was a bad idea to put something electrical inside a gas tank .If it won't work why want it?

one reason is they are easier to deal with and you don't have to fight with trying to get the things in and out of the tanks. I have always thought that was a bad idea to put something electrical inside a gas tank .If it won't work why want it?

Huh?

I don't suggest you try it. I don't know what your skill level is but unless you really know what you're doing it is unlikely you will end up with a system as safe or reliable as the factory design. An in tank pump might appear unsafe but there is no oxygen when the tank is sealed, the danger is while servicing them and care must be taken. An external pump is actually more prone to disaster if not installed in a safe manner. I'm personally not a proponent of fuel injection for various reasons but if I were to use it I'd accept the fuel pump the way it is as the best design.

Changing the fuel pump in an MJ isn't even a huge project. I did one in the alley behind a strip mall across from my hotel a couple weeks ago, took less than two hours, including figuring out how to adapt the stupid Delphi pump (if I did it again I'd go for the Bosch). Just make sure you have under a half-tank of gas before you start and you're golden. Everything comes out the side of the tank, and I didn't even need to get the truck in the air, or even drop the tank.

Okay,not what I wanted to hear but I suppose I will put a new one in the tank.. I just thought it would work ,they use external ones on fuel injected race cars.,mounted on fenders under the hood or somewhere along the frame rails. Thanks for the info,Double Six.

Don't do it if you really don't want to. No one here is going to stop you from doing what you want on your own truck.

Race cars use them mostly to make it easier to change them out in a hurry. That's really the only advantage, and they also don't have the best longevity in road cars because they aren't as easy to keep cool as an in-tank pump, especially when you see low speeds with not much airflow. And frankly, how often do you need to change the fuel pump? The one I pulled out a couple weeks ago was old enough the original ones were still in production when it went in, if it wasn't the original pump itself...

But you do you. It's not necessarily a bad idea to go to an external pump, we just don't really see the point.