brake rotor/drum min. thickness?

I admit it. I don't want to take the front/rear wheels off till I'm ready to do the brakes. but when I do i want the minimum thickness/dia. numbers.

its a 88 2wd big ton w/ d44 rear dif  a/t

I know i have 2 x 21/2" rear brakes and I'm pretty sure the front rotors are all the same size.

I know that the min thickness/dia. is stamped on the rotor/drum somewhere but I thought I would cheat and rely on the pro's of the jeep forum.   :brows:

I want to go with riveted rears, can anyone suggest a good pad/shoe material?

daily driver, I seldom pull a trailer (4x8 utility) I plan on keeping this rig for a while.

bryce

found them in the jeep repair manual download (that download sure comes in handy). while I was looking those numbers up, I noticed that the grand wagoner 

had 12" rotors instead of 11" on mj's (thicker too). and 11x2" drums instead of 10x1-3/4" on the mj's. (mine are 10x2-1/2")

are these an easy swap out? bearings, seals, calipers, and such? maybe also a m/c as well? (bigger bore)

anyone done this swap? or are there better swaps out there already.

bryce

I think WJ brakes are still the kinda only valid swap, and to me I don't see it being worthwhile because it's not exactly bolt on.

The Grand Wagoneer is a very different animal as it is a fullsize (SJ) and the front axle in it is a 'more conventional' type with serviceable wheel bearings, external locking hubs, etc, and as said it's 6-lug.

You can actually make these trucks stop well, just buy decent pads/rotors, make sure the proportioning valve is actually working, upgrade the booster, and make sure everything is properly bled and in good shape.