88 MJ Project Gone Awry??

So, I picked up this 88 Pioneer short bed, 4.0l, BA-10, 2wd, as I’ve always thought they were cool and I’ve already had more than my share of XJ’s and Yj’s. Yep, I like Jeeps.

This low mileage MJ came to with old decals that took days to remove, a list of water leaks (and floor metal damage/replacement), a bench seat (now MJ buckets), and a well worn truck bed.

Plans for it began as a simple 4x4 upgrade, and an automatic cause I’m old and need I need my wife to be willing to drive it sometimes. That last point led me to add A/C to the list, and by the time you’re shopping for a front axle, t-case, auto trans, and A/C, you may as well buy a parts car… So, I picked up a 96 XJ. It has the added benefit of the center console, and preferred brake unit too! At this point the Comanche engine/trans are out, the 96 front axle is in, an MJ 3.55 rear axle is in, and the Cherokee is very close to being stripped of everything I think I'll want or might need.

Now I’m at a cross-roads… my inclination is to swap over the entire 96 4.0l HO drivetrain and OBD2 system. Based on what I’ve read that might mean swapping the steering column and underdash wiring, and figure out how to handle the fuel pump/sender. I’ve carefully read Cruiser54’s threads on keeping the Renix system, which sounds sensible, but by the time you’ve got the AW4 wiring, A/C wiring, etc. I have to think the step to OBD2 won’t be that much more work.

I’m very open to input/ideas, and would much appreciate hearing from others who went down the OBD2 path.

Thanks for reading.