antenna base

what modifications are needed for the power antenna?

I put mine in years ago. Don't use any aftermarket universal junk, or the Crown junk, they don't last. Use an OEM unit from an XJ. I was lucky and found a NOS unit. On my 91 the wiring connector was already there on the cross dash harness, so it was basically PnP if you use the antenna for an 86-96 XJ. It comes with the mounting bracket and built-in relay. Even the power antenna ground output from the factory radio is prewired into the connector. If you use an aftermarket radio, you will have to locate the power antenna output and run a wire to the connector - easy stuff.

Pic of a rusty used one on Ebay

s-l1600.jpg

So the base on my truck antenna is cracked. I thought about it when I was at the salvage yard and tried to pull one and could not figure out how to get it off and had no idea what I was doing. It is a easy process?

Why not just replace it with one from another 97+ XJ?  Late model XJs are readily available in the salvage yards.

So the base on my truck antenna is cracked. I thought about it when I was at the salvage yard and tried to pull one and could not figure out how to get it off and had no idea what I was doing. It is a easy process?

Why not just replace it with one from another 97+ XJ?  Late model XJs are readily available in the salvage yards.

It's been a while since I messed with one, but I think the antenna must be taken off first, then there is a large nut that must be removed, freeing the antenna base (the plastic bezel) and the actual antenna base that connects to the line going to the stereo.  The nut sometimes has two flats that you can get a crescent wrench on, other times it is a special fitting.  I'm sure there is a specialized socket for it, I just use some good channel pliers, careful not to scar it up if it will be reused.

Exactly. You need #4 pad on the diagram. To remove it, unscrew antenna (2), then unscrew the nut (3) while holding the stud sticking up on the antenna cable (5) so the antenna cable doesn't fall into the fender well. Press on your new pad to reinstall, the bolt it back up. Cake.