Aftermarket Tachometer

Yes i did search the forum for this. No guarantee that i searched hard enough but i did search.

I am looking at putting a tach into my comanche. I recently saw a video of an MJ with a custom dash cluster. In the video the guy also had something I might try to do. In one of the empty spots under the digital radio he has a digital tachometer mounted.

Here is the video I saw

I found a digital tach on two websites and was wondering if anyone could tell me if they would work on an MJ with the I6 and how they would wire in.

Website 1

Website 2

PS: If anyone on here has ever used these are they any good.

Also not pertaining to this topic if anyone needs a wiring diagram, code information, instructions for changing something, etc., i have access to ALLDATA which, if anyone doesn't know what it is, is a large automotive database. It has most things for an MJ just not all.

a factory cluster with the tach goes right in and works without any wiring.  :thumbsup:  (your 87 will need a 87-90 or an 84-86 with some minor tweaks)

Are you talking out of a cherokke or another comanche?

Yes i did search the forum for this. No guarantee that i searched hard enough but i did search.

I am looking at putting a tach into my comanche. I recently saw a video of an MJ with a custom dash cluster. In the video the guy also had something I might try to do. In one of the empty spots under the digital radio he has a digital tachometer mounted.

Here is the video I saw

What empty spaces under the radio?

The video link doesn't work for me. "404 Not Found"

You do realize that both of those links are for universal tachometers that use a magnetic pickup (the reference to "Hall sensor") rather than picking up a signal from the ignition system ... right? It means you would have to mount some kind of bracket, probably near the crank pulley/vibration damper, for  the sensor to "read" the rotational speed of the engine.

Ok so i am forgetting about an aftermarket tach cause it sounds like a lot of work.

Those instructions are helpful, the only question raised currently about doing a cluster swap is do the temp and oil pressure sensor have to be from the vehicle the new cluster comes from. Meaning if i get a cluster from an 87 cherokee will the sensors have to be the ones that come from an 87 cherokee.

If I was able to get a factory MJ cluster that had a tach would I have to swap the sensors or would the current ones already on my truck work?

a factory cluster with the tach goes right in and works without any wiring.  :thumbsup:  (your 87 will need a 87-90 or an 84-86 with some minor tweaks)

Another question i just thought of is which year range are you saying will need minor tweaks and what are those tweaks?

Here is the video I saw

You do realize that both of those links are for universal tachometers that use a magnetic pickup (the reference to "Hall sensor") rather than picking up a signal from the ignition system ... right? It means you would have to mount some kind of bracket, probably near the crank pulley/vibration damper, for the sensor to "read" the rotational speed of the engine.

Hijacking. Is there decent analog display tachs like this?

I have a TinyTach in my Comanche. It's for a diesel(my cummins) but they make em for gas engines too. It clamps around the spark plug wire (I think on gas) and reads the pulses. $100. Little nice display.

And I have it mounted to the left of the cluster where the indicator lights are.

Here is the video I saw

You do realize that both of those links are for universal tachometers that use a magnetic pickup (the reference to "Hall sensor") rather than picking up a signal from the ignition system ... right? It means you would have to mount some kind of bracket, probably near the crank pulley/vibration damper, for the sensor to "read" the rotational speed of the engine.

Like what? This thread seems to be about digital tachometers. What analog tach are you asking about?

Ok so i am forgetting about an aftermarket tach cause it sounds like a lot of work.

Those instructions are helpful, the only question raised currently about doing a cluster swap is do the temp and oil pressure sensor have to be from the vehicle the new cluster comes from. Meaning if i get a cluster from an 87 cherokee will the sensors have to be the ones that come from an 87 cherokee.

If I was able to get a factory MJ cluster that had a tach would I have to swap the sensors or would the current ones already on my truck work?

Another question i just thought of is which year range are you saying will need minor tweaks and what are those tweaks?

you'll need a temperature and oil pressure sensors for an 87-90 XJ/MJ with the same engine.  84-86 tweaks have to do with the retaining clip for the speedometer.  aka, keep the clip you have now from your current cluster.  there's an outside chance that you'll find a cluster from a 4banger and need to adjust the tach to match the extra 2 cylinders you have, but those are rare indeed so not really a worry. 

Here is the video I saw

Like what? This thread seems to be about digital tachometers. What analog tach are you asking about?

Sorry, I could have been more clear.  Analog tachs with their own hall effect sensor, so if you don't have an ignition system it isn't a big deal.  I know there is some marketed to diesels but they generally seem to be terrible.

Sorry to hijack, but is the cable there but just not hooked up for non-tach gauge clusters?

Sorry to hijack, but is the cable there but just not hooked up for non-tach gauge clusters?

There is no difference in the wiring harness (cables) connected to the tach / non-tach clusters. PnP for both. Only the external  coolant temp and oil pressure sensors/switches are different.

IIRC, there is a blade terminal on the coil that is for a tach signal. Or you could just tap into the positive coil wire. If you are going to run an aftermarket tach.

Tachs that read off the alternator/etc.Have to be Adjusted/Tuned. I had an Autometer tach for my old 84 F250 with the 6.9 IDI . It came with a huge band clamp to strap the sensor to the alt. Then, You have to find out what your rpm should be in direct drive (1:1) at 55mph. Then preferably have a 2nd person adjust the tach to match while you are driving.

The vehicle is already wired for a tach, they all were from the factory.

Hence remove the old cluster and pop in the new cluster with Tach and it works.

One could also pull the needed signals (power, ground, tach signal) from the main cluster plug of the stock cluster. But for all that hassle a drop in stock cluster looks less hacktastic, and a decent aftermarket tach would take up a lot of room inside a vehicle with quite limited real estate.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk