87 fresh from resto no running lights???

I just had a resto body job done on my 87. During the project I cleaned out a pile of dead wires from the interior as I replaced the whole dash (and yes remembered to match the vin to the truck).

Now I'm having problems. The running lights keep shorting the fuse. Not always immediate but always eventually withing 10min. I also don't have gauge lights but I think that might be just blown bulbs. She's 30 years old after all. My interior lights do work though :)

I had the local mechanic shop do an attempt to fix the light issue and he thought he did. All sockets and bulbs were replaced. I had lights for a whole 15min after I turned them on that evening. Now they are blown again.

I read the radio might be playing tricks but it's the same radio from before the body work and I had running lights then.

Other suggestions?

I'd post up pics but can't figure a way from my mobile.

• 3 weeks later...

no help?

So far we have tried:

1. removing the stereo in case it was wired up to the dimmer wire and over loading the switch. But it was not wired to the dimmer wire.

2. replace the headlight switch as the short was traced through the switch. But the switch isnt the problem.

3. investigate the wiring further using old school techniques with a test light wired to direct power - found the orange/black wire is shorting out, which makes sense because I also lost dash lights before the resto job. But we cannot locate physical damage to the said wire.

Can anyone shed some light (pun intended) on this situation?

Orange and black wire is dash lights. But feed from running lights. Mine has a relay under the driverside dash that kicks on exterior running lights. If you pulled the dash out there could be a pinched wire somewhere.

• 2 weeks later...