As I've mentioned in a few posts, I'm a little out of touch with what the aftermarket has done for the MJ (and the XJ) in the last 10 years.

What is available for fender flares at this point?  How well do they fit?  Do any allow for spectacular amounts of trimming?  And do they hold up to mild abuse?

I'm not limited to plastic/rubbery flares.  If there's good tube flares around for a reasonable price, I'd like to hear about it.

I know Bushwhacker has long since discontinued their "Look at 'em wrong and they break" fender flares that were popular 10 years ago.  The new ones sound like they're much more flexible.

Here is an email I got from then not a long time ago:

Unfortunately at the moment there is not a different option to work on the Comanche bed sides. We hope to be able to make some in the near future but do not have any sort of ETA. I have seen a few guys purchase our the front set and fab something custom for the rear. As far as us modifying the design currently would not be possible due to the complexity to make needed changes to fit them to your bed sides. I wish it was just as simple as adding the length to our current design to make it work but unfortunately it would take a lot more almost a complete redesign to be honest. Thank you for your interest and hopefully before to long we will have them available to purchase.

I have napiers and they are amazing. I made a YouTube video about them and the owner saw it and commented on it. Doug Napier is awesome guy. One of mine is cracking but they're sending me a new one! I love this company

We are working on rear MJ flairs! They will look similar to the XJ ones, but sized for the MJ Bed. They may be available as just the flair, but we will see as prototyping continues. 

10632809_1039399602775584_39549230203615

Man I have been waiting for someone to do it. I am ready to order as soon as they get released. Is pricing going to be comparable to the XJ ones.

Unfortunately at the moment there is not a different option to work on the Comanche bed sides. We hope to be able to make some in the near future but do not have any sort of ETA. I have seen a few guys purchase our the front set and fab something custom for the rear. As far as us modifying the design currently would not be possible due to the complexity to make needed changes to fit them to your bed sides. I wish it was just as simple as adding the length to our current design to make it work but unfortunately it would take a lot more almost a complete redesign to be honest. Thank you for your interest and hopefully before to long we will have them available to purchase.

do they make a 2 door rear fender?  that should be 95% perfect for an mj.    the xj rear quarter and the mj bed body lines are identical albeit the wheel well being ever so slightly larger and the fuel door

do they make a 2 door rear fender?  that should be 95% perfect for an mj.    the xj rear quarter and the mj bed body lines are identical albeit the wheel well being ever so slightly larger and the fuel door

they are not. Fitment around where the lower part of the fender jets out near the bottom is different. 

they are not. Fitment around where the lower part of the fender jets out near the bottom is different. 

the pictured rustys flares don't go past the lower body line anyways, so any dimensional difference is negligible.   and regardless the lower quarters similar enough that even if it did I doubt youd notice,  how else would 2 door fender flares (napier/bushwacker/ect..) fit an MJ at all? if they weren't atleast near identical

Thats why they don't advertise the bushwacker flat flares for to fit the comanche. they are not the same rear flares. there is a thread on here where some one has put the bushwaker 2 door cherokee flat flares on the mj and it shows where they don't fit the body lines and what modifications they had to do to them. I just can't find it. 

Thats why they don't advertise the bushwacker flat flares for to fit the comanche. they are not the same rear flares. there is a thread on here where some one has put the bushwaker 2 door cherokee flat flares on the mj and it shows where they don't fit the body lines and what modifications they had to do to them. I just can't find it. 

http://comancheclub.com/topic/33577-convince-me-to-get-33s-instead-of-35s-or-not/ and http://comancheclub.com/topic/28041-bushwacker-flat-style-flares-on-mj/

there is a little gap between a side panel and a fender. 

Thanks for the thoughts guys, I'm leaning towards the Napier ones since they're most likely to do what I want.  The video on their site of rubbing the tree is promising too, it looks like they should hold up for a long time.

Otherwise I think I might pull out the pipe mangler and the 1" sch40 and make something.  I'm not going to get to this for months anyways, so it's not any sort of hurry.

Thats why they don't advertise the bushwacker flat flares for to fit the comanche. they are not the same rear flares. there is a thread on here where some one has put the bushwaker 2 door cherokee flat flares on the mj and it

shows where they don't fit the body lines and what modifications they had to do to them. I just can't find it.

i dunno. All i find is links to how much people love them. Yes I know the factory flares on an MJ are bigger then a XJ. but as for aftermarket flares as long as they a cut out style, whether pocketed, flat, tube, ect... there's no reason an XJ flare wouldn't fit an MJ. You just would net ~1" less wheel well vs the XJ due to factory sizing.

It's my understanding you can't get bushwacker pocket flares anymore. But personally I don't see this as an issue as personally they were too rounded and "bubbly" looking. The napier are a much cleaner boxer style look that compliments the MJ much better.

We are working on rear MJ flairs! They will look similar to the XJ ones, but sized for the MJ Bed. They may be available as just the flair, but we will see as prototyping continues. 

Man I have been waiting for someone to do it. I am ready to order as soon as they get released. Is pricing going to be comparable to the XJ ones.

It will be close, though a little more as the armor will require much more steel. 

Thanks for the thoughts guys, I'm leaning towards the Napier ones since they're most likely to do what I want. The video on their site of rubbing the tree is promising too, it looks like they should hold up for a long time.

Otherwise I think I might pull out the pipe mangler and the 1" sch40 and make something. I'm not going to get to this for months anyways, so it's not any sort of hurry.

They'll hold up to moderate trail work. Lean the body against a tree with the weight of the vehicle behind it though ... Wanna guess why I swapped to tube flares on my XJ that used to run Napier?

They are great flares, don't get me wrong, just not up to "island trails".

I cracked the rear body section of my driver side flare (XJ 4dr version) when I got stuck leaning against a tree, couldn't get enough traction to go up, and going back meant more damage due to the angles. Crunch, crackle goes the flare and out came the winch.

IMO if you plan to lean the trees, go steel, plastic just won't hold up. But if you do go plastic ... Napier has my vote.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

I really don't even plan to really wheel this thing, I just want the tires covered so it is legal, and the bed has some ugly stuff that should be covered.

As my (hypothetical) build thread might allude, I'm still hammering out the details of what I want out of this.  It actually would be a good candidate to build tube fenders for since the box is not really repairable (short of new bedsides), so really you might as well just hack it up at that point.

I really don't even plan to really wheel this thing, I just want the tires covered so it is legal, and the bed has some ugly stuff that should be covered.

As my (hypothetical) build thread might allude, I'm still hammering out the details of what I want out of this. It actually would be a good candidate to build tube fenders for since the box is not really repairable (short of new bedsides), so really you might as well just hack it up at that point.

I saw replacement box panels for sale, fairly inexpensive too in case if you want to repair it.

http://stores.zmjeeps.com/bed-side-mj-comanche/

As my (hypothetical) build thread might allude, I'm still hammering out the details of what I want out of this. It actually would be a good candidate to build tube fenders for since the box is not really repairable (short of new bedsides), so really you might as well just hack it up at that point.

I saw replacement box panels for sale, fairly inexpensive too in case if you want to repair it.

http://stores.zmjeeps.com/bed-side-mj-comanche/

It's not worth it because of massive shipping costs (I am not in the US).

There is one in the junkyard here and I keep meaning to go look at it.  I don't remember if it was a SWB or LWB even.  My cab isn't in great shape either, I'm not sure what the bondo is hiding.  I need to actually pull the truck in an assess what is going on before I make any real commitments.  As it sits my plan of throwing it together for the winter is workable.  It's just a question if I want to try to go farther with it (as in, actually make it nice).