No power to fuel pump

OK so my pump went bad and this happened all of a sudden..well assuming it did took it out hooked it up directly to battery no buzzing or any life whatsoever so i bought a new fuel pump put it in now truck doesnt want to start i don't hear the pump priming when i turn on ignition pump works when i hook it up directly checked that orange live wire traced it all the way to the fuel pump relay and its not broken swapped the relays around still nothing ballast has continuity but i read somwhere that i was suppose to get 12 volts on pin 30 at the relay but I'm getting 0 ..checked the relay next to it and there 12 volts on pin 30 but not on the fuel pump relay socket can someone please tell me what i should check next?

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

88whiteComanche, he already checked that.

Go as far Upstream in the circuitry as you can, apply 12 volts and see if the pump works. If it works you know your problem lies farther Upstream, if it doesn't you know your problem is somewhere between that point and the pump.

yes ballast is good tried bypassing it as well still no power..ground behind tail lamp is good ive checked up to fuel pump relay don't know if there is something else I'm missing and what more weird about it is a couple days ago the truck worked fine didnt start it for about 2 days when i tried to start it after that ..nothing...bought the delphi fuel pump from autozone which doesnt even fit in my tank which i think is an 18 gallon cut off the line up tabs on it so it could sit in tank don't even know if its gonna work but atleast id like to get some power to it so i can try it..damn blasted thing :fs1:

hows your ground to the fuel pump? did you do the refresh grounding behind the rear driver tail lamp?

88whiteComanche, he already checked that.

Go as far Upstream in the circuitry as you can, apply 12 volts and see if the pump works. If it works you know your problem lies farther Upstream, if it doesn't you know your problem is somewhere between that point and the pump.

Did you check the fuel pump ballast? Right by the air box?

did you check fusible link at the starter relay?

When you check the relay harness plug in, did you get all the time power to the #79?

how do i check the fusible link at the starter and also the #79...please excuse me i'm a lil new to this

Sorry auto corrected on my phone 87 not 79.

1st did you try jumping pin 87 with 12 volt to see if it would turn the pump on? If that turns pump on then you can check pin 30 and 86.

2nd Since you said 30 has not power check the fusable link. it is like a inline fuse that is wrapped. That may be blown or have a bad wire connection. You may have to replace it if it is bad. I think it is 20 or 25A don't hold me to that number not at my computer right now.

3rd the 86 which is wired to the starter relay. easy enough to test if it is getting power by Turing ignition to on, and checking if you have voltage there. 

If you can not get power to 30 you can always run a hot 12volt from battery connector with a fuse between battery and Pin 30. It is only pulling juice when your ignition is turned on.

ok so i have a ground coming to pin 30 85 and 87 on the fuel pump relay i'm guessing this shouldnt be?

Should not be. Open up the harness below the fuel pump relay socket.

i opened up the harness below the relay an orange wire is strip but its not touching anything is it possible something could be grounding under dash also getting ground going to the trans fuse under dash?

ok so i have a ground coming to pin 30 85 and 87 on the fuel pump relay i'm guessing this shouldnt be?

i opened up the harness below the relay an orange wire is strip but its not touching anything is it possible something could be grounding under dash?

30 should be power from the battery via the latch relay 

86 is ignition power with key On

85 is the relay's ground to the ECU

87 is power to the fuel pump

Power goes through the C103 connector by the RH shock top. Flat 6 wire connector.

Then through cC00 on the firewall side of the fusebox

Then C119 behind the driver's side kick panel. 10 wire connector.

i opened up the harness below the relay an orange wire is strip but its not touching anything is it possible something could be grounding under dash also getting ground going to the trans fuse under dash?

You don't "get a ground" to anything. Ground is ground. Fuses go in power (hot) leads, not ground leads. If you "get a ground" to a fused lead, you have a short circuit that instantly blows any fuse you put in the fuse holder.

Found out it was the new delphi fuel pump I put in the tank was causing a short circuit somehow was not sitting properly in there..and damn that pump is loud can't hear myself think in the cab is it suppose to be buzzing this loud?

• 1 year later...

I've searched and read a bit on the topic of the fuel rail not priming and I have a few questions. On friday my truck shut off. When trying to restart I noticed that I didn't hear the pump priming. I got the truck towed home and started researching. In Feb. 2017 I refreshed the grounds. Could the grounds need to be refreshed again? I was thinking about refreshing the dip stick ground due to oil build up. I've checked the volts on the fuel pump relay when the key was on and got 12v when grounded to batt and touched to 86. Ground to 30 got me 4.6v. Then I checked the orange (power?), gray (no clue), and black (ground) wires by the fuel tank I got 6.97v with the key on. I am trying to pin point the failure before spending a ton of money. Any help would be great.

You should have about 12 volts to the pump, not 6.97. 

Pull the relays and clean up their contacts and receptacles.

Thanks. I'll use electronics cleaner and update later tonight. Do you think I should buy a fuel pressure gauge or clean everything first?

................ Ground to 30 got me 4.6v................

I'll assume relay is removed. C216_1 should have B+ voltage. Check voltage at C106_D1-5, should have B+ voltage. Check voltage at C103_B (Engine harness side), should have B+ voltage. Pls advise.

I'll assume relay is removed. C216_1 should have B+ voltage. Check voltage at C106_D1-5, should have B+ voltage. Check voltage at C103_B (Engine harness side), should have B+ voltage. Pls advise.

Thank you...

I'm looking at a relay diagram and can't figure out what the A is the C106 comes out of. Also, I took the relay bracket off and placed the red on the batt + and the ground on C216 from the bottom of the fuel pump relay. It read just under 12 with key on.