General grabber AT2 review

ftpiercecracker1

31x10.50x15 $160ea

Just had these tires put on about 2 weeks ago. Look/ask for the ones made in USA. They took some weight, ranging from 1.25oz to 5.25oz, but balanced out extremely well.

Minimal road noise.

Decently grippy for ATs.

My only complaint. . .

These tires LOVE to pickup and sling rocks. Stay far away from these tires if you care even the slightest about your paint job.

FPC

I personally like that they sling rocks... I'd much rather have them come out than stay in and push a hole into the tire. 25% of my driving is on gravel and they take it pretty well. Only issue I had with the tires was a nail through one, had them for four years now.

They're also great in the snow and on ice. Not like a dedicated snow tire would be, but excellent for a tire that doesn't get torn to crap by gravel.

The AT2's are a hair under 40lbs in a 31x10.5x15. The original red letter Grabbers are a completely different animal... Don't think they would be a good choice for a daily driver unless your commute takes you primarily across jagged boulders.

Since working at Continental Tire I noticed a lot of people get the red letters because, simply, of the red letters, they want it to match the red accents. They really aren't for the mud, they were made for dirt. The new General Grabber X3 is what I'm looking forward to. Mud, dirt and rock is what the tire will be made for (I believe). I'm running the AT2's on my 2011 silverado and like them. I'm waiting for the x3 to get those for my comanche. 

If you're wondering what I do there... I'm a warranty inspector. So all those tires you send in because you don't like them I inspect them and make sure they are what you say they are. :)

Ive had my General Grabber AT2 tires for a few years now.  I like them and havent had any issues with them.  I havent really used them for off road much aside from when my brother got his MJ stuck in a mud bog in the back yard.  Fliped on the locker and was able to trot right through it.

12057983476_52a003d296_o.jpg4924815678737 by Blue88Comanche, on Flickr

12057512964_23ec3083cd_o.jpg4924802998420 by Blue88Comanche, on Flickr

Since working at Continental Tire I noticed a lot of people get the red letters because, simply, of the red letters, they want it to match the red accents. They really aren't for the mud, they were made for dirt. The new General Grabber X3 is what I'm looking forward to. Mud, dirt and rock is what the tire will be made for (I believe). I'm running the AT2's on my 2011 silverado and like them. I'm waiting for the x3 to get those for my comanche. 

If you're wondering what I do there... I'm a warranty inspector. So all those tires you send in because you don't like them I inspect them and make sure they are what you say they are. :)

So... can get you get them to make me some AT2's in a 33x10.5r15? Or maybe those X3's if they're snow-rated and won't get torn to $#!& by gravel roads.

So... can get you get them to make me some AT2's in a 33x10.5r15? Or maybe those X3's if they're snow-rated and won't get torn to $#!& by gravel roads.

I can ask around. I thought I've seen some 33x10.5 15s, but I guess not. And with the gravel roads, I haven't seen any issues with the AT2's getting torn up by gravel. The engineers actually recommend these (if you have some light gravel road paths) because of the rubber compound in the tire. Most tires would collect the rocks like you said and tear them up, these don't. I go down a gravel road every once in awhile and after a mile or so I hardly see any rocks in my tires (of course there will be some, but.. you know.) 

The at2's have been great so far on gravel, it's why I'm asking. I've got them in a 235/75r15 on my MJ and in a 205/75r15 on my Niva. Decent in the snow to boot.

But I want 33's on the MJ and don't want to change my factory wheels, which limits me to 10.5-wide. And I need severe snow ratings... Snow tires do not live long happy lives on gravel. I emailed Continental, explaining all that and most importantly that I didn't want to change my factory wheels. Their response was one sentence in which they recommended changing my wheels. Needless to say I wasn't exactly impressed with that answer.

My only 33x10.5 15 snow-rated AT option is the BFG KO2 so far, but we have them on most of the trucks at work, and most of them have a patch or two or six from rocks getting pushed through.

Figured Id go ahead and put my 2cents in.

I have a set of 285s on my single wheel f350. The truck has a flatbed and at times has around 2k lbs worth of welding gear on it. I also don't drive it like a grandma, in a heavy diesel, can eat a set of tires. with about 12-13k miles on them, no complaints. The truck should have E rated tires on it, But these seem to be pretty tough. I estimate Ill get 30-40k miles out of them. For the price and performance I think they are great. Even better on a smaller jeep I'm sure