• 4 weeks later...

My family owns a 300 acre farm where ATVs are heavily used for various purposes.  We've always been high on the Honda ATVs (and rightfully so - they are the most reliable that we've found), but I was able to convince them to look into the Yamaha product line when it came time to renew the fleet.  We ended up with a Yamaha Big Bear because of the load and towing capacity but I was always intrigued by the Wolverine.  If I recall correctly the Wolverine uses the bottom end of a utility ATV, but the top end of a sport ATV, which gives you a nice blend of power and speed.

In looking at photos of the 2007 model it seems like Yamaha basically went away from any utilitarian use of the Wolverine (the older models we were looking at had a front and rear rack) and have made it a pure sport ATV - maybe they have optional racks?

The one stark difference between the Honda and Yamaha utility ATVs was the handling.  I can only comment on the Big Bear since that's what we wound up buying over another Honda Fourtrax 300, but I recall the Big Bear being very top heavy and unstable at high speeds.  It rode like a tank and always required maintenance to the engine.  The Honda Fourtrax line of ATVs were so much more reliable and the only thing we ever changed were batteries and oil.

Anyway, that's my story of Honda vs Yamaha and I'm glad to see you got the thing up and running with such a simple fix.  It's always fun to work on ATVs as opposed to automobiles because of how simple they are. 

Question - how fast is the Wolverine that you have?  I've always been curious as to what kind of top speed they're able to achieve.  

My family owns a 300 acre farm where ATVs are heavily used for various purposes. We've always been high on the Honda ATVs (and rightfully so - they are the most reliable that we've found), but I was able to convince them to look into the Yamaha product line when it came time to renew the fleet. We ended up with a Yamaha Big Bear because of the load and towing capacity but I was always intrigued by the Wolverine. If I recall correctly the Wolverine uses the bottom end of a utility ATV, but the top end of a sport ATV, which gives you a nice blend of power and speed.

In looking at photos of the 2007 model it seems like Yamaha basically went away from any utilitarian use of the Wolverine (the older models we were looking at had a front and rear rack) and have made it a pure sport ATV - maybe they have optional racks?

The one stark difference between the Honda and Yamaha utility ATVs was the handling. I can only comment on the Big Bear since that's what we wound up buying over another Honda Fourtrax 300, but I recall the Big Bear being very top heavy and unstable at high speeds. It rode like a tank and always required maintenance to the engine. The Honda Fourtrax line of ATVs were so much more reliable and the only thing we ever changed were batteries and oil.

Anyway, that's my story of Honda vs Yamaha and I'm glad to see you got the thing up and running with such a simple fix. It's always fun to work on ATVs as opposed to automobiles because of how simple they are.

Question - how fast is the Wolverine that you have? I've always been curious as to what kind of top speed they're able to achieve.

We just got it running again today, so I haven't personally had much time on it while I've had it. But according to Coleton it will go about 40-50 mph.

This one like you said is more sporty than utility, but it does have a 1 7/8th ball hitch.

ATVs are still new to me and I look forward to using it. My grandparents own 40 acres of wooded property for hunting. So I'll be using it mostly for utility till the old trails are cleaned up for the jeep.

Jeff

• 3 weeks later...

Replaced the air filter. The carb needs to be cleaned again.

are those 2 statements connected in some humorous way? 

not exactly, the first airfilter degraded, and coleton just kept the filter cage with a hand towel wrapped around it as a filter.. it was working but he had to take the filter out after he flooded the airbox, and he forgot to put it back in later and thus the clogged carb.  I'm also planning to install a fuel filter as it currently does not have one.