1986 Comanche HVAC Delete/Block off plates

Anyone know where I can find HVAC block off plates/delete plates? Took out my HVAC system and not planning to put it back which leaves me with these nice two decent size holes in my firewall haha. I tried searching a couple of the parts and performance pages I know of but didn't have any luck. Thanks for the help!

My 1987 that did not come with a/c only heat just had these 1 inch thick rubber sheets. You could always make some or, get some of the spray foam insulation, and put a piece of card board on one side and fill the gap up and put another on other side to push it together, let dry then pull that card board off and you have a tight fitting foam. 

I did that to fill the small gaps when I installed the a/c HVAC box. The rubber all ripped up when I tried to put the small wholes for the a/c lines in it.

How about electrical box knockout covers? They are available in a variety of sizes.

031857471507lg.jpg

Get 'em at Lowe's or Home Despot. Install with a bead of RTV and you should be good to go.

You're going to have 3 holes that need covered . The two you referenced and also the one on the cowl panel .

Being that the metal is relatively flat you're probably best off just making some patch panels and riveting / welding / bolting them in . To my knowledge I don't believe those delete panels are sold anywhere.. Here's a pic to reference the holes .

^ correct there are no delete plates. The fan area is was standard fan with heat. only non standard was a/c. It was not plated it just had a thick rubber gasket. Always the option of getting some sheet metal and tacking it up their if the foam is not good enough. I would at least want the fan my self to use on the windows for defroster.

expanding foam LOVES to hold moisture... will often rust panels out multiple times faster as no foam at all.  just a thought

x2.  wish I had known that way back when. :(

Spray foam needs to have a moisture blocker if it is in a not ventilated area, just like in a home (they use aluminum foil). Since the area is vertical, their is ample air flow with the heat and air flow from engine bay will be good to keep moisture away. I would not recommend this if you have a hvac box like the above is not using a HVAC box. (my self I would at least want the defroster which means a HVAC box)

Where my HVAC box is I used aluminum Spray foam. Once the foam dry's it becomes hard and will not draw any moisture.  aluminum Spray worked for me because I use it often, but most people do not have the equipment or money to spend on a one time thing.

Also forgot to add you need to prep the area correctly. I can just imagine people spray it right on the metal lol.. You can't do that, you would need to put a moisture blocker, a good rubber seal would work well enough. once foam hardens, then you cut it down so the foam is not on the steel.

Yeah deleting everything, going ham with it haha. Thanks for all the advice, will most likely go with a rubber seal and the foam spray, already had to do a bit of welding on the firewall for rust. But I figure at least if I go with the spray and rubber seal it will be easier to change my mind later on. Pretty much the only thing I would want from it would be the defroster, but I rather try with the whole thing out first and see how it goes. I figure can always drive with my head out the window if it gets to foggy or wipe em as I go. It's not a daily truck just a mountain/trail truck. But thanks all for the replies. Hope to be able to throw some pics of it up when it's closer to finished.