Another headliner option

My MJ didn't come with a headliner like many other jeeps.The options are very low in this area of Comanche rebuild. Here is my way of doing mine repair. What I decided was to make a piece of wood fit in the indent channel of headliner area .I first made a piece out of 1/8 ish paneling to fit in the area and fastened to roof of the jeep along the lip (which has clearance to outside sheet metal). But after few days in mild temp that wood warped,good thing I didn't put Fabric on yet. So I trashed that and shaped a piece of 3/8 plywood to fit vehicle roof area. 

1JnKKCy.jpg

after getting proper fit and sanded wood I mounted my purchased dark grey headliner material .

SL71HiK.jpg

leaving 3in extra on sides 5 in front and 3 in rear past the edge of wood to glue to body and fill gaps. I mounted wood with fabrics to MJ cab with screw in locations where screw wouldn't touch outside roof sheet metal. I purchased screw cover patched from shelving isle at hardware store to help limit bulges in liner.

IyvWTvJ.jpg

Now gluing and trimming extra side fabric around cab I also made fillin panels for sides about 3 in wide and covered in same fabric and mounted behind trim panels. Using original metal clips on side to hold fill panels

Lgjc2aF.jpg

ground down visor mounts to help with gape ... Hopefully I did images right still learning

I fixed the photos for ya. :thumbsup:  you need to put the photos' address in the little pop up box (on a computer it is a little greenish box)

is this part of a larger project thread or a standalone project for the DIY forum?

• 9 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Did you have more photo without fabric

On 4/23/2016 at 10:02 PM, Nofeartoys said:

My MJ didn't come with a headliner like many other jeeps.The options are very low in this area of Comanche rebuild. Here is my way of doing mine repair. What I decided was to make a piece of wood fit in the indent channel of headliner area .I first made a piece out of 1/8 ish paneling to fit in the area and fastened to roof of the jeep along the lip (which has clearance to outside sheet metal). But after few days in mild temp that wood warped,good thing I didn't put Fabric on yet. So I trashed that and shaped a piece of 3/8 plywood to fit vehicle roof area. 

1JnKKCy.jpg

after getting proper fit and sanded wood I mounted my purchased dark grey headliner material .

SL71HiK.jpg

leaving 3in extra on sides 5 in front and 3 in rear past the edge of wood to glue to body and fill gaps. I mounted wood with fabrics to MJ cab with screw in locations where screw wouldn't touch outside roof sheet metal. I purchased screw cover patched from shelving isle at hardware store to help limit bulges in liner.

IyvWTvJ.jpg

Now gluing and trimming extra side fabric around cab I also made fillin panels for sides about 3 in wide and covered in same fabric and mounted behind trim panels. Using original metal clips on side to hold fill panels

Lgjc2aF.jpg

ground down visor mounts to help with gape ... Hopefully I did images right still learning