Genssi 80W CREE LED White 1156 Reverse Lights

I currently have halogen 1156 bulbs for my backup lights, but they left a lot to be desired, plus they drew about 1.5A/each. I'd heard good things about these CREE LEDs so I thought I'd give them a try. I picked up a pair of Genssi 80W 1156-compatible bulbs with the Cree chipset on Amazon for less than $20 shipped HERE.

I suck at taking pics at night, but these bulbs are at least twice as bright as the 1156 halogens and draw less than an amp total. They are focused pretty well for a straight back beam, not just splashing the light in a useless halo. Well worth the $$ to me. Hopefully they will have a long life.

LEDReverseLights1.jpg.3325bf4a5a083eacfbaab069bae3b1f9.jpg

LEDReverseLights2.jpg.773c9da238eee28afedb4b03f2472d00.jpg

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

80 watt bulbs? Geez, that's not much of an increase over the 26W 1156's... I wouldn't be comfortable tripling the power of the bulbs on factory wiring.

As far as the lights themselves go, I'm kinda tempted. I do too much reversing in the dark, and I've always wanted something more substantial.

How do you conclude less than an amp draw? 80w/12v= 6.7A, per side.

The 80 watts they claim is what it would take an incandescent bulb to produce the lumen equivalent provided by this LED bulb, so Ohms law doesn't apply. Advertising wordsmithing as all LED bulb manufacturers do. I stuck my ammeter in series using test leads and verified slightly less that a one amp draw on the 10A scale for both LED bulbs. No worries for the factory wiring...........

:thumbsup:

I was kinda wondering, looked a bit compact for 80 actual watts of led, and also not very bright. I've got 72 actual W of led on the front of the MJ, and it's like staring into the sun. :D

These will for sure get tossed into my next amazon order.

Looks like a great deal for $20!  And we let our Amazon Prime account go this year.

Thread highjack warning:   Don - just noticed the "metric ton" badge on your tail gate.  According to my 91 window sticker, the old metric ton package was called "big ton" package for 1991.  Do you know if there was a "Big Ton" badge for the truck?  Never saw a trace of it on the OEM painted tailgate.  But my truck was just the base interior truck with lots of options.  Think I have seen a picture of a rear window "Big Ton" decal on a factory fixed window.  But not on my 3 pane rear window.

I just ordered a pair of 1156's for my backups, glad to hear that they are a good deal. 

Has anyone tried the 1157 LEDs in the brake and turn slots?  I understand that the lower impedance can cause rapid blinking or other problems.....

I just ordered a pair of 1156's for my backups, glad to hear that they are a good deal.

Has anyone tried the 1157 LEDs in the brake and turn slots? I understand that the lower impedance can cause rapid blinking or other problems.....

In my experience, they might be bright, but you have to use an electronic flasher or load resistors. The downside is that they really don't fill the housing with light, instead making more of a bright dot. Stick with incandescent for now.

• 5 months later...

Has anyone tried the 1157 LEDs in the brake and turn slots?  I understand that the lower impedance can cause rapid blinking or other problems.....

I have, but only in the rear. Flasher works fine. 

I have, but only in the rear. Flasher works fine. 

Ditto

I just installed them. Doesn't look like good quality but it works. Nearly broke both of them trying to install them and it is NOT that bright as I expected... but definitely brighter than stock.

I had leds for my 98, 99, 99, and 01 XJs and they were absolutely brighter. Don't know if brands made a difference... they were samsung something.

• 3 months later...

I've necro'd this thread twice now (seems like everytime I do, someone else discovers them though!) but I got mine installed the other day and they're the real deal. Excellent visibility when backing up now - the old incandescent bulbs were worthless. Thumbs way up on these from my first impression. No idea how long they'll last, but they felt like fairly good but not great quality to me. As long as they last I'll be happy.

Are these bulbs still available then? Out of stock on Amazon. I'd like to find some decent LED backup bulbs, bought some that were advertised as 'super bright' and they turned out to be dimmer than the stock incandescents.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/2x-80W-CREE-White-1156-High-Power-LED-12V-24V-Turn-Signal-Brake-Reverse-USA-/171236127337?fits=Make%3AMazda%7CModel%3A323&hash=item27de77f269:g:YNAAAOxy9tpR-W6Z&vxp=mtr

Just ordered me a set :D thinking about going 100% LED with my MJ.