Using front XJ splash guards on the rear of an MJ

In case you don't like the way the correct MJ (or modified XJ) rear splash guards look, here's a simple way for you to make front XJ splash guards work.

The correct MJ rear splash guards are shown in this pic:

ZmYMrDtl.jpg

As you can see, they sit on the outside of the fender flare. They look... dopey. Like an afterthought. I still like them, but what if we could make the nice looking OEM front splash guards work on the rear?

You'll need:

- A set of front XJ splash guards with L-brackets. The factory attaching hardware is not needed - we will use new nuts and bolts available at any local hardware store.

- Short bolts, nuts and washers to mount the splash guards to the L-brackets (the screws provided with the splash guards will be too long to clear) - I used M5x0.8x12mm bolts as I had some on hand from a previous project, but any relatively short bolt will work.

- 4 M5x0.8 nuts to attach the splash guard brackets to the rear fender flare mounting studs. I do not recommend attempting to remove the nuts that attach the fender flare to the body, as they will likely break.

- Drill and bits - 1/4" or similar.

Time: Approximately 2 hours

Cost: Cost of splash guards (varies, around $50) + approximately $5 for hardware

qV25Aq6l.jpg?1

Here's what front XJ splash guards look like uninstalled. These are brand new NOS parts, so only a few of the holes we'll need have been drilled, but if yours have already been installed, our procedure shouldn't be any more difficult. The mud flaps are pictured opposite their actual location on the vehicle. The one on the left goes on the passenger side of the vehicle.

9x2qSE9l.jpg

Notice that the brackets have a short side and a long side. Normally, the "short side" would attach to the fender flare studs, but the rear fenders of the Comanche have a dramatic curve, so the brackets will not fit correctly when installed as they would be on the front fenders.

uXX462al.jpg

However, if we flip the brackets so that the long side attaches to the fender flare studs, we have plenty of room to work with and the brackets can sit roughly perpendicular to the ground. We'll need to drill a couple of holes so that our brackets can fit this way.

gYpG9Zll.jpg

Fortunately, the fender flare studs have the same spacing on the rear as they do on the front, so we can drill new holes on the long side of the bracket in the same orientation as the existing holes on the short side. The existing holes are approximately 13/64" in diameter, but I drilled 1/4" holes to allow for easier fitting.

GU62aiEl.jpg

When you're done drilling, go out to your truck and check the fitment of the modified brackets. They should easily fit on the fender flare studs.

wqdeX97l.jpg?1

Now we need to attach the splash guards to the brackets we've modified. We can re-use the pre-drilled holes in the short side of the bracket and attach the splash guards using nuts and bolts. I used a 13/64" drill to make the mounting holes in the splash guard and 5mm bolts and nuts to attach the splash guard to the bracket.

Before drilling both holes in the splash guard, install one bolt and go out to your truck and figure out where you need to drill the second hole in the splash guard so that it will hang correctly. In my case, the splash guard sits correctly with the bracket rotated as in the picture. It's hard to see in the picture, but the bottom corner of the bracket is flush with the inside edge of the splash guard.

nS2FwAJl.jpg

When you've figured out how to make the splash guard hang level, drill your second 13/64" hole in the splash guard, and attach the splash guard + bracket to the fender flare studs. Be very careful during this step, since you don't want to break any of the fender flare studs. I don't recommend trying to remove the fender flare nuts. They are very likely to break. Instead, just put the brackets over the existing nuts as shown in the picture. It wouldn't be a bad idea to chase the threads of the studs before installing the splash guards. You can adjust the location of the splash guards relative to the fender flare with washers if needed.

E6YNceNl.jpg

vO0mEJHl.jpg

And that's all there is to it, folks. Now go and admire your clean looking, matching rear mud flaps!  :thumbsup:

Edit 11/28/16: Clarified some instructions, added more clear "after" pictures.

The sun actually came out today, so here are some better pics:

4UQRo2Ql.jpg

1o2TOETl.jpg

EAuYFWnl.jpg

E6YNceNl.jpg

Those taillights are in need of some serious attention. Yuk. And you can see all the little scratches and dents. I need to get back to taking all my pics from 20 feet away :D