Am I being cheap?

Dom U

Iv litterly been constantly scouting scrap yards and constantly calling ones that keep track of parts and constantly checking car-part in attempts to find a Dana 30 with 4.10 gear ratio. How ever i absolutely can't find one under $350 within 150 mile radius of me. All the price's I'm finding are (the cheapest) 280 to 350, and some even 400+?? I really don't feel these are accurate prices at all how every after so many places having similar prices I'm beginning to think its just me XD. Would you guys pay $300 for one or should i just have my local shop rebuild mine for $600 parts and labor.

I'm almost at the point where I'd pay $300 for one... Nearest junk yards to me (60 miles for the closest and the rest are 200+ miles away) on car-part.com are quoting closer to $600 for a 25 year old axle... Typically they go for around $150 on Craigslist etc, I'm just waiting for one with 4.10's to pop up when I have the budget.

I think my typical JY's price is $109 including core for a rear axle axle drum to drum. $200 for a front. Would never pay more than $250 or so for a stock used Jeep axle that's not a Comanche D44 or AMC20 in known good shape. And they usually aren't even rusty down here.

*was thinking of rear ends, fronts are more expensive. Changed numbers to match.

I found a mom & pop yard that was parting out a '96 XJ with a bad motor and spent $400 on a 3.07 D30, T-case, both Driveshafts, linkage (turned out to be bent) and literally a 5 gal hydraulic pail of assorted nuts & bolts. They were pulled & ready to go though the D30 was sitting in the mud and needed diff stock and all new wheel end components. I thought it was a pretty good deal.

I'd pay based on ratio & desirability.  CAD vs non CAD, HP vs LP, and 3.55, 3.07, then 4.10.   $300 wouldn't be bad for a non-CAD, HP D30 in a 4.10 that had a good gear set, diff stock, and only needed brakes.

Our pick n' pull charges $180 for ANY axle...you pull.  They have some already pulled...they charge $100 to pull it...ANY axle.  So if you're lucky, you can get  Jeep axle, pulled, for $280.  I see axles here on CL for anywhere from $100 for a 35 or $450 for a built D30 or 8.8 with decent gearing.

Where's Lemoncove?

P.S. YES you're being cheap...just like me because I have to pay rent, utilities, food and keep the wife happy too.  Creative financing!! 

Our pick n' pull charges $180 for ANY axle...you pull. They have some already pulled...they charge $100 to pull it...ANY axle. So if you're lucky, you can get Jeep axle, pulled, for $280. I see axles here on CL for anywhere from $100 for a 35 or $450 for a built D30 or 8.8 with decent gearing.

Where's Lemoncove?

P.S. YES you're being cheap...just like me because I have to pay rent, utilities, food and keep the wife happy too. Creative financing!!

I guess I'm being cheap at this point. Best I can get near by is $300 for 1988 with 170k miles and 4.10 gears. Probably gonna pick it up

I see 4:10 going for more than that. Other ratios are cheaper. People want the D30 4:10 and the JYs know it. I can get other axels for cheaper and non XJs in 4:10 or other rations a lot cheaper. PnPs charge for an axle, whatever it is. I picked up an FS GC D44 for about $130 at a PnP a few years back. I think they go for $400 to $600. Then again, I bought a D44 rear from an Isuzu Rodeo for $130 from a JY. I try to swing by Marshalls in mid OH. Just about PnP prices. I use Car-Parts.Inc. to scout for parts and prices.

• 2 weeks later...

I paid $125 for an entire 86 MJ donor with a bad 2.8 that had good 4.10 axles and a ton of other goodies. Sorry. Had to brag. The axles and a bunch of other goodies from it are in my 87.

That's the way I do it......
I guess it's all where your located...and how much in need are people selling their jeeps...

South Florida is minimum $500-600 because that's what are jys offer