Fuel tank ideas??

as many know the fuel tank is secured in place with the straps connected to the frame rails on one side and the bed on the other end of the fuel strap . i have removed my bed to do some body work ect and was wondering if anyone has devised a way to leave the tank hooked up to fuel line ect with the bed off   pics would be great  I'm doing an engine swap and would like to get the truck moving under its own power and painted before replacing the bed I'm thinking a simple piece of angel iron or something but was wondering what if anything others might of done??  thanks 

ive herd of a lot of people welding two strips of angle iron across the frame rails (similar to what 1st deuce did)  and then hooking the factory straps to that instead that way your tank is completely supported off the frame indefinately

agree with above, I my self when I added the 2nd tank on my truck we used 2 piece of angled 90 degree steel to hang the tank on.

another idea would be use a sold steel round that went thru frame and have disconnects on each side of the frame. allowing you to remove the steel round holding the straps of the tank easier in the future. This idea only good if one would be moving the fuel tank more often.

agree with above, I my self when I added the 2nd tank on my truck we used 2 piece of angled 90 degree steel to hang the tank on.

another idea would be use a sold steel round that went thru frame and have disconnects on each side of the frame. allowing you to remove the steel round holding the straps of the tank easier in the future. This idea only good if one would be moving the fuel tank more often.

Please tell me more about the 2nd tank you added to the truck.  What tank and where did you add it.

I added the same 18gallon tank just on the other side, just behind where your muffler is. Had to re route the exhaust and the muffler. Used a cherry bomb after the rear diff... 

The filler for tank is a little bit closer on the passenger side to cab tho so not even on both side of the truck.

I added the same 18gallon tank just on the other side, just behind where your muffler is. Had to re route the exhaust and the muffler. Used a cherry bomb after the rear diff... 

The filler for tank is a little bit closer on the passenger side to cab tho so not even on both side of the truck.

Do you have any pictures you could post?  Love to see it.  Thought about a second tank for years.  But was looking behind the axle where the spare is..

The bed on the drivers side has a hump to clear the fuel tank filler.  What did you do on the passenger side to clear the filler pipe?

I thought about doing a tank where the spare tire goes, and doing a retro behind the plate filler neck

That is easier to do on the short bed than the long bed.  I have a long bed and the big X brace is an issue.  A 19 gallon tank from a 90's Ford F150 could work, it is just over 8 inches thick.  The 25 gallon and 32 gallon tanks out of a 90's Suburban may also work, just that they are a bit thicker and on the long bed, it may hang down quite far.  As for how to fill the tanks?  Thought of just running a long pipe from the existing filler neck back to the rear tank.  That would allow both tanks to be filled at the same time.  Old Toyota Land Cruisers used a variation of this.  But, like most modifications to my Comanche, it has never been a high priority for me simply because I do not drive the truck that much.  These last 6 or 8 weeks may be the first time I have had to use the truck as my daily driver since I got the truck in 2007.  And refilling the gas tank at the 300-350 mile mark is not a problem.

I've never liked the tank being secured to the bed myself.  Some angle should  do the trick.  

I've considered dual tanks too; perhaps someone should start a new thread on that...  :hijack:

If you want to move the 2nd tank discussion, here is an old thread I started in 2008 with lots of still valid information.  Why not bring it back to life?

http://comancheclub.com/topic/12482-second-gas-tank-in-an-mj/?hl=gallon+tank&do=findComment&comment=122631