Widely believed False Mj Statements .

How about a thread that states things that aren't true ?

For example :

Xj leaf springs are different then mj leafs

2 door xj doors will not fit Comanches

Both XJs and MJs are unibodies and the frame cannot be unbolted

No Comanches came with factory sunroofs

Dakota tail lights are not the same as Comanche tail lights

So when a someone new comes along they can read this thread and be more familiar / knowledgeable by reading one post about general misconceptions . Just an idea ....

How about a thread that states things that aren't  are true ?

For example :

So when a someone new comes along they can read this thread and be more familiar / knowledgeable by reading one post about general misconceptions . Just an idea ....

^^  Those statements are all true, not false or untrue.  :hmm:

How about a thread that states things that aren't are true ?

For example :

^^ Those statements are all true, not false or untrue. :hmm:
That's why I said the title was deceiving . After re reading and WNY pmd me I should phrase is as :

Dakota tail lights fit Comanches etc .

The rear leafs are the same

Mjs have factory sunroofs .

Or does this only make sense in my head? lol

I think this could be made a companion to the "what is the most important MJ tip" thread, but IMO it needs some cleanup.

Just read some of the Facebook groups and you'd fill up the thread in a day :cheers:

I don't know if it's really a tip as much as a fact . And I agree the thread would need work and I know I didn't put a lot of thought into it either .

And when the Facebook crowd or newbies join Comanche club and make the repeated false statements maybe they could be directed to the thread .

feel free to start any thread ya like. :thumbsup:   don't need me for that.  but I would write the statements as true facts with a big ol' NOT in the middle rather than a "false statement".

eg:  Dakota taillights are NOT the same as MJ lights.

• 2 weeks later...

i'll add...

2dr rear XJ flares do NOT fit the rear of an MJ

XJ perch width is NOT the same as an MJ

XJ perch leaf spring seats on the axle width is are NOT at the same distance apart as an MJ

OR

XJ and MJ rear axles are different and CANNOT be swapped in stock form.  The leaf spring seats are spaced differently, and an XJ axle is mounted spring-over, where the MJ is spring-under...... unless you want instant 4" of rear lift..... :D

MJ's ARE the same as XJ's from the doors forward............. except for the wiring harness...... and roof....... and floor pans...... and seat mount brackets......and emergency brake assemblies..... and lower control arm mounts.  :D

• 1 year later...

i'll add...

2dr rear XJ flares do NOT fit the rear of an MJ

XJ perch width is NOT the same as an MJ

XJ perch leaf spring seats on the axle width is are NOT at the same distance apart as an MJ

OR

XJ and MJ rear axles are different and CANNOT be swapped in stock form.  The leaf spring seats are spaced differently, and an XJ axle is mounted spring-over, where the MJ is spring-under...... unless you want instant 4" of rear lift..... :D

OR

Unless properly curated this type of thing is just as confusing (if not more) as clueless people spouting information they think is true. Trying to debunk myths with no moderation just adds to the fog.

Do I smell a DIY writeup possibility? A few knowledgeable members debunking the most common myths with evidence?

• 9 months later...

How about a Snopes-like forum or “True or False: Comanche Myths or Mythstakes” ?

Or maybe “Bonus or Bogus? MJ truths vs traps”

My Comanches:

2nd Louey 1987 SB Sporttruck

2.5L/AX-4 2wd (for now) 3.55 D35 205/75R/15 with studs and new windshield and headliner.

First Louey 1988 SB Sporttruck

4.0L/BA10/5 2wd (for now) 3.07 D35 235/75R/15 on steel wheels

90 MJ LB parts rig. 107K miles rustbucket from the belt 4.0/Auto with matching front axle for 2Lt.

How about a Snopes-like forum or “True or False: Comanche Myths or Mythstakes” ?

Or maybe “Bonus or Bogus? MJ truths vs traps”

My Comanches:
2nd Louey 1987 SB Sporttruck
2.5L/AX-4 2wd (for now) 3.55 D35 205/75R/15 with studs and new windshield and headliner.

First Louey 1988 SB Sporttruck
4.0L/BA10/5 2wd (for now) 3.07 D35 235/75R/15 on steel wheels

90 MJ LB parts rig. 107K miles rustbucket from the belt 4.0/Auto with matching front axle for 2Lt.

This is a great idea. I was once told that carpet from an older 2 door XJ would fit in a MJ. Still not sure if that is true.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, jeeppapa said:

This is a great idea. I was once told that carpet from an older 2 door XJ would fit in a MJ. Still not sure if that is true.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not a direct drop in.. You can take carpet from any xj and put it in the Comanche but you'll have to cut the back end off of it, cut/elongate some holes for seat mounting and other stuff, as well as add or remove padding under the carpet in some spots to make up for the difference in the floor pans and reinforcements.  It's a lot of work but can be done. 

On 1/5/2016 at 4:12 PM, yellaheep said:

OR

I read someplace around ‘99 or so that early 87to90 YJ was the same bolt in rear axle as Comanche. The AMC Eagle from the “Flying with V8 AMC Eagles” in Petersen’s 4x4 and Off-road magazine from Sept ‘97 (Cam Brown’s car was in my Ex’s old neighborhood) had a D44 put in that the spring pads needed to be moved on top and it was tagged “Export YJ” from Then Golden Ears motors Jeep Wrecking.