MJ custom tail lights

when i bought my truck it came with these "bro" tail lights. i didn't like them, they were ugly and blotched, and its illegal in MA anyways... so i decided to cannibalize them and see what i can come up with. 

XOa3qSql.jpg

with some careful prying and a tiny bit of heat gun, i was able to pop the covers apart with no noticeable damage!

the inside edge (tailgate side) was actually incredibly easy to separate, just a twist of a flat head screw driver popped each end and a slide of the blade cracked it open, then the top and bottom aren't held by anything. lastly the outside edge (bedside) was a little more stubborn; where the inside edge is more surface mounted, the outside is pressed in 1/8", light and careful prying around the top and bottom towards the screw holes cracks the seam. then about 30 seconds of heat gun (watch out the lens discolors and "fogs" very easily) across the whole edge and then just  grabbed the reflector base in one and and lens in the other and "can opened" the two pieces in small repetitive tries till they slowly cracked apart. and wala! 

UJnF73gl.jpg

i have a couple ideas on what to try, 

1) cut out the flat portions of the cover keeping the raised section lines, and molding  clear/fogged plastic to create a factory style clear lens tail light.

2) scrap the lenses all together and create one smooth plastic lens. 

3) open for other ideas... any out there?

I have multiple sets of good tail lights stocked up so full restoration wasnt/isn't a necessity. I have used acetone and a green scuff pad on other lights I've had that worked pretty well. I black and white filtered a picture of my truck and it just looked way too awesome with clear lenses so I really want to try it

that picture is just a color photo shop, but that is what I hope to come close too,   inside the light there is about 1/8 clearance between the lens and housing dividers so it shouldn't be too hard to incorporate a solid clear lens to the inside of the light and have everything  mold together properly too.

Color me confused. I assumed the red tint was all the way through the plastic. You're saying it is only red on the surface and can be cleaned off !?

sorry for the confusion, the scuff and acetone post was for getting the lens tint crap off.    the red dye is infused with the plastic and not removable. (atleast I wouldn't have the slightest clue on removal)

I made clear tails for my Rampage years ago. I used the cover for a fluorescent kitchen light.

A little heat, hot glue and some LED bulbs can go a long way.

that actually was one of my ideas. as it has the small diffusers or whatever you want to call them to scatter the light. 

BTW those old  rampages are sick, I think ive only actually seen maybe one in person.

• 4 weeks later...

so here's what i got so far, nothings attached or perfected yet, but have everything mocked ontop of each other. 

went with 1/8" acrylic glass for the lens, and used a heat gun to mold it to the correct shape,  i still need to get some rotary bits to do some precision grinding/trimming inside the lens' to get the acrylic to sit perfectly flush against them

BFWdiHml.jpg?1