ID a 4.0 engine is it from a grand or sport??

sinkrun

I have some pics of a engine a guy is selling that belonged to a relative he knows it was bought to put in a XJ sport but thats it. I took several pics so my question is can anyone tell me if its from a grand or xj as I know in the 2000 year range they are different.

This:

4.0 Engine date codes

The date code is on the passenger side of the engine, on the block, just forward and up from the distributor on a machined flat surface.

The digits of the code identify:
 1st Digit-The year (8 = 1998). 
 2nd & 3rd Digits-The month (01 - 12). 
 4th & 5th Digits-The engine type/fuel system/compression ratio (MX = A 4.0 Liter (242 CID) 8.7:1 compression ratio engine with a multi-point fuel injection system). 
 6th & 7th Digits-The day of engine build (01 - 31). 
1. FOR EXAMPLE: Code * 801MX12 * identifies a 4.0 Liter (242 CID) engine with a multi-point fuel injection system, 8.7:1 compression ratio and built on January 12, 1998. 

Well I was down talking to the guy again and his sister pulled in we were talking her X Boyfreind bought the engine for her jeep she was driving (xj), I said can you give me more info she said they ended up with it as a spare because they  really bought it for a grand and it would not fit, so they stashed it as a spare for her XJ. So with that I bought it they had left everything on it so it looked like a 2000-2001 with the correct intake coil pack  double cats still on it. After getting it home I noticed no bolts in the coil rail then started looking more at it.

Now I check the date code its a damn 94 when he told me a 2000. I always wondered if I could put a older engine in a 2000 and thought it could be done so I will find out. They obviously had it in a 2000-01 with all the new stuff on it even has the electronic dizzy in it.