Blower motor mod/upgrade

The blower motor's factory grounding point is on the driver side inner fender under the sheet metal screw. This ground is shared with windshield wipers, front windshield washers, rear windshield washers, AC clutch relay, fan control relay, fog lamps, fan motor, headlamps, front turn signals, front side markers, and park lamps. 

So your blower motor has its ground point 10 feet away from where it is located!!

What we’re going to do is leave that ground intact and also ground the blower motor on the passenger side inner fender much closer to the blower motor itself. This will also benefit the other components on the factory ground circuit.  Take this opportunity to refresh the factory ground as a matter of course. 

Here's what I do to get the ground much closer to the blower motor and add another ground point to this overloaded ground circuit.

Find the blower motor connector on the passenger side. Red and Black two wire connector.

Find a location where the black wire can be made to reach the passenger side inner fender, and cut the wire. You may have to do some rerouting of the harness to achieve this.

Take both cut pieces of wire and put them together into a yellow eyelet and crimp. Fasten the eyelet to a place on the passenger side inner fender with a sheet metal screw. There’s probably one on there that you can use. Be sure to scrape the attaching point on the fender to bare metal first.

Your blower motor will now turn faster and last longer, and the other electrical components on the  circuit will benefit from a better ground path.

Actually yes. The blower motor (and a lot of other stuff) ties to a an engine block ground point (Splice 12)  behind the A/C compressor. I'll get a pic tomorrow if I remember.

That would be a great place!! 

Maybe it IS a Renix thing. Let me know. 

Actually yes. The blower motor (and a lot of other stuff) ties to a an engine block ground point (Splice 12)  behind the A/C compressor. I'll get a pic tomorrow if I remember.

That would be a great place!! 

Maybe it IS a Renix thing. Let me know. 

Blower motor ground - breaks out of the cross-engine bay harness and is tied here:

Inquiring mind needs to know if you noticed any notable increase in airflow after doing said ground mod?  I just replaced my blower motor, and it works fine, but if I could eek a bit more airflow out of it then I am all for it.

absolutely on the 2 Renix Jeeps I've done so far, and reports back from one other who noriced the same.

seems like it's not worth it on the 91 and later models.

Now I need to find an 84 to 86 wiring diagram.......