Transmission swap

I have a 88 MJ with the peogeot trans in it, i also have a AX15 trans with transfer case cross member and driveshafts that came with the truck when I bought it. I think the slave cylinder is starting to go out. So my question is will this be a easy swap to put the AX15 in?

Is the '15 internal or external slave?  What year did the '15 come out of?

The earlier AX15s will have a smaller tip input shaft; later models will have a larger (3/4") tip. You need the pilot bushing/bearing to match.  I think the change was made when they switched from int to ext.

Do you have the mounting bracket that connects the trans to the cross member?  You'll need that also.

You will need a level driveway, preferably paved, a trans jack, jack stands, and support to hold the engine while the trans is out.  Lots of hand tools: sockets, extensions and reverse torx socket (E12?).  

You will need a wiring pigtail to adapt the reverse light to the AX15 backup light switch.

I just did my swap in Aug.

I have a 88 MJ with the peogeot trans in it, i also have a AX15 trans with transfer case cross member and driveshafts that came with the truck when I bought it. I think the slave cylinder is starting to go out. So my question is will this be a easy swap to put the AX15 in?

I just did it in September and it wasn't bad. Just don't forget to get a new pilot bearing or bushing. I had a bushing made but a lot of guys just get a 304 bearing or something like that.

• 2 weeks later...

OK ax 15 trans cases hookups are all electrical so what now?  :doh:

I am not sure I understand you question/issue.

The only electrical hookup on the trans is the back up light switch.  You will need to cut the end of the connector coming from the engine side and replace it with a pig tail connector.  You can get this at any parts store.

^this.

The vacuum on the old tcase controls the CAD. Lock the CAD in permanently and forget it. Make sure to plug the vacuum harness where it hooked up.

The electrical bit on the new tcase turns on the 4x4 light. You can leave it unplugged if you aren't bothered by not having the light. The 4x4 light for a CAD-equipped model was triggered by a switch on the cad itself, but the newer switch's harness should plug in where the old one did.