What is a good reputable re-manufactured engine?

Do NOT even consider an ATK reman engine.  Hecho en Mexico= pure junk.  I put one in Maura, my 1990,  It lasted 282 miles until it started spitting up cam bearings.  To say I was not amused would be a vast understatement.

FYI all the big box parts stores (Advance, Auto Zone, NAPA, etc) carry ATK under a variety of names. 

Your best bet is probably the local machine shop.  As they aren't half a world away you can appear on their door step if the need arises.  That tends to help.

Some people swear by Jasper...others swear at Jasper.

What gave out on yours?

Is there a machine shop near you?  Talk to one of those to get an estimate.

Cam bearings. However, Ive been meaning to replace it anyway. Wouldnt it be more expensive to have a machine shop rebuild my engine?

Do NOT even consider an ATK reman engine.  Hecho en Mexico= pure junk.  I put one in Maura, my 1990,  It lasted 282 miles until it started spitting up cam bearings.  To say I was not amused would be a vast understatement.

FYI all the big box parts stores (Advance, Auto Zone, NAPA, etc) carry ATK under a variety of names. 

Your best bet is probably the local machine shop.  As they aren't half a world away you can appear on their door step if the need arises.  That tends to help.

Dunno about 4cyl but Titan makes a very good stock reman couple of buddy's has their 4.0 with no complaints good luck

Thx for the heads up on ATK!. Ill check out Titan.

Guys have had some negative things to say about titan strokers, but I have experience with their stock reman engines and just watched my buddy's roll 100k on a daily. Titan also runs great deals on eBay good luck!

Awesome thanks!

Don't know about your area, but I was quoted about $2200 - $2500 by two shops in MD a few years ago.

For full engine rebuild?

Yes, full engine rebuild.

Correction - it was $2000 to $2200.

I ended up getting a client to provide the labor.  I paid for the parts: $850.

Don't know about your area, but I was quoted about $2200 - $2500 by two shops in MD a few years ago.

For full engine rebuild?

Yes, full engine rebuild.

Correction - it was $2000 to $2200.

I ended up getting a client to provide the labor.  I paid for the parts: $850.

hmmm ill see because an already rebuilt one would be cheaper.

Some people swear by Jasper...others swear at Jasper.

What gave out on yours?

Is there a machine shop near you? Talk to one of those to get an estimate.

Cam bearings. However, Ive been meaning to replace it anyway. Wouldnt it be more expensive to have a machine shop rebuild my engine?
Not necessarily, I'm about 950 bucks in w/overbore, new pistons, new cam, machine work and gasket/seal set. Machining costs all depend on what you have done. IE: it cost me 130 to "turn" a crank, 25 per cyl to be bored and 10 bucks a cyl to assemble pistons to rods.

4.0 vs. 2.5?

I'm going 2.5L. A 4.0 will not fit into a 2.5L engine bay. Unfortunately they are sized differently...

False, they are exactly the same.

The only engine bays that are different is that of the 86 and 87+. You can still get a 4.0 or a V8 in an 86 engine bay. It just isn't as easy as the 87+.

I was told a 4.0 wouldnt fit in my 89... They said I would need to bang out room to make it fit?? what is true lol

Like everyone else is saying a 4.0L will fit into any non-86 MJ's engine bay the same as it would any MJ which came with a 4.0

One thing to remember though is you can't just drop in a 4.0L with all the 2.5 wiring, radiator, trans, etc a lot of stuff has to be swapped out to move to the bigger engine.

BUT IT WILL FIT! :thumbsup:

Also for the reference to jasper, not gonna arrack there quality but their price is just ridiculous! The reasoning behind that price is crazy and what people don't realize unless they are having the engine put in by an approved shop! Had a buddy that's been workin on, and rebuilding jeeps longer than I've been alive he got burnt by jasper instead of trying to help a customer that basically payed double the money to get an engine from them they found a loophole and left it in his lap!

Not a business I wanna deal with