AX15 to AW4 swap

I have been doing research on swapping out an AX15 to the Automatic Cherokee transmission (AW4). There are a ton of these threads but I seem to be having issues finding info on swapping the 23 spline aw4 into a renix 4.0.

I have a 1990 mj with an ax15. So in order to use my transfer case on the aw4 I will need a 23 spline aw4 which would be the newer models from 91 and up. So a 91 or newer aw4 but i will still need an 87-90 flex plate to get it to all work? I am not sure about this.

I have also read about needing a new throttle body and tps for hooking up the tv cable. I am unsure if this is truly necessary.

I am also concerned about whether the ax15 crossmember will work with the aw4. I have a long arm set up and they bolt to the crossmember as well as the transmission. Also whether the 23 spline spline output on the aw4 is the same as my np231j 23 spline input.

I will be running radesign rail or baja shifter and no tcu for simplifying the process.

Is there anything else I missed or that I will have trouble with?

Thank you

I already have a perfectly good working ax-15 in it from the factory. I just want the automatic transmission because I play in the rocks a lot and the automatic transmission is a lot cheaper than sourcing and putting together a dual transfer case set up to have the desired control. Also after replacing the internal slave cylinder twice in a short period, I feel it would be a good change in terms of reliability as well.

• 1 year later...

I'm in the exact same boat right now. my ax15 works fine, but I'm wanting the simplicity of an aw4 when it comes to the really hairy climbs; i can't have the engine cut out at the crux, and end up losing power and momentum. i picked up an aw4, but have NONE of the other stuff. 

I already have a perfectly good working ax-15 in it from the factory. I just want the automatic transmission because I play in the rocks a lot and the automatic transmission is a lot cheaper than sourcing and putting together a dual transfer case set up to have the desired control. Also after replacing the internal slave cylinder twice in a short period, I feel it would be a good change in terms of reliability as well.

Swap that slave cylinder out for an external if you don't go automatic. I'm in the process of doing mine (about $200 invested so far with a tranny rebuild kit included).

The AW4 switched to the 23 spline shaft in 1990, although some of the early 90 models were still 21. The correct flex plate is one from an 89 or 90. Obviously the easiest way to do this conversion would be to find a donor 1990 XJ or MJ with an AW4 and pick the parts you want from it.