Tapping in for a oil catch can

I got a oil catch can because my filter gets soaked in oil between oil changes. I deleted alot of vacuum lines and Had to buy a new hode for the CCV to the airbox. So its the OEM gramet/plastic hose, slides into a larger rubber hose that attaches to the airbox.

Can I take the plastic hose out of the CCV gramet? Or will it brake?

Should I keep the rubber hose over the plastic pipe and just tap into the rubber hose?

I'm going to lowes/home depot tomorrow and I'm bringing in the whole CCV system with the catch can lol. I'm finding fittings. This will work one way or another.

You are worrying about the wrong line.

That small, plastic line from the grommet at the rear of the valve cover (the CCV line) is the suction side. It's supposed to go to the intake manifold, to pull oily vapors out of the crankcase. The larger tube, toward the front of the valve cover, is the one through which clean, filtered air is supposed to go into the crankcase.

What happens is that the small CCV line gets clogged and can't suck as much out of the crankcase, and/or the engine gets old and develops more blow-by than the CCV system can handle. When it gets to that point, the crankcase gets pressurized. The pressure can't escape through the small CCV line, where it's supposed to go, so it back-feeds through the intake and drips oil onto the air filter. Obviously, a catch can is a band-aid, but if you're going to do it -- put it on the larger line.

I got a oil catch can because my filter gets soaked in oil between oil changes. I deleted alot of vacuum lines and Had to buy a new hode for the CCV to the airbox. So its the OEM gramet/plastic hose, slides into a larger rubber hose that attaches to the airbox.

Can I take the plastic hose out of the CCV gramet? Or will it brake?

Should I keep the rubber hose over the plastic pipe and just tap into the rubber hose?

I'm going to lowes/home depot tomorrow and I'm bringing in the whole CCV system with the catch can lol. I'm finding fittings. This will work one way or another.

Make sure your grommets and tubes are in good shape.

See tip 25 in the link in my signature below before modifying anything. 

• 1 year later...